98 posts in this topic

Things really picked up last week. Stripers are here and in fairly good numbers with some nice catches from many. This trend should continue for the next 2 weeks. There are also some black drum still being caught in the surf zone. Now is the time for a striped one...feel free to post your reports...fish or no fish...FISH!

Well i guess the rock have finally arrived in full force. Had a good weekend overall for the 2009 delaware surf fishing tounament. My brother caught a 36" rock on bunker tail towards the end of the tournment around 2. And a guy a couple trucks down caught a 33" using clam. I believe overall there were 10 rock fish caught throughout the day. But there was this one female angler that was tearing into the fish all day long. Everytime i'd look over she was reeling in something. Mostly blues but they had some good size to them. I guess she was just fishing a good hole. I didn't have any luck in the tounament. I got 1 skate early and later around 3 a good size smooth dogfish. I was certain it was a rockfish with the way it was fighting with hard headshakes. But it just ended up being a doggy. However I went out on Sunday and fishing was great. I started around 2 and hooked up with a big smooth doggy then followed that with a skate. They kept on bitting my bunker chunks so i switched over to a bunker head and it was on. Birds were working the water 50 yards in front of me. My pole wasn't in the water more than 10 minutes and i had something nice on. I walked out to the bar to fight it a little closer and my first glimpse when i saw it i thought it was a big doggy but when it made a second run i saw its dorsal fin and i knew it was a rock. 38", not real fat but long and lean. Then as soon as i got the hook out of his mouth. I put the same bunker head back on the hook because it actually slid up the line, and recasted out to the same spot and within 15 minutes it slamed down again. I went to set the hook and i forgot to tighten my drag and all the line came out and i missed the fish. After trying for another 30 minutes i decided to pack it up and head home i figured the school already came through. Well boys get the dust off your rods cuz its ON.

First Pic is my brother with his 36"

Second Pic is mine 38" His was fatter than mine but not quite as long

5852a5593b4be_GWRockMay92009.jpg.fb6d144

5852a559457a4_Rocksurfmay102009.jpg.7951

Nice report Jsmoothie36. Where were you fishing if you dont mind me asking?

Nice job! Water looks like a lake.

fished ai for about 7 hrs today had couple of good pull downs on bunker heads and clams but did not get to rods in time ended up w/ couple of good size doggies hope to get back down middle of next week and try again

The one my brother caught was in the fenwick surf just north of the bath house. He caught that one on saturday during the tournament on a bunker tail. The one i caught was actually in ocean city somewhere between 120th and 130th street can't give ya the exact location. I caught that one on bunker head. But it was weird how identical the surf looked at both locations. We both caught them just before low tide and just on the outside of the outter sand bar. Sunday when i caught mine it looked like primo conditions. Birds were diving right in front of me and the cut in the bar was perfect, I wish i video tapped it to show you guys. I wanna thank everyone from the website because without you guys i wouldn't be able to read the surf as well as i do. Thanks a bunch guys and get out there cuz it is as hot as its gonna get for a while.

TIGHT LINES.

Today from the beach...and the streak continues!

Nice catches jsmoothie!

Nice catches guys!

Any particular tide?

Fishing first trough?

The one my brother caught was in the fenwick surf just north of the bath house. He caught that one on saturday during the tournament on a bunker tail. The one i caught was actually in ocean city somewhere between 120th and 130th street can't give ya the exact location. I caught that one on bunker head. But it was weird how identical the surf looked at both locations. We both caught them just before low tide and just on the outside of the outter sand bar. Sunday when i caught mine it looked like primo conditions. Birds were diving right in front of me and the cut in the bar was perfect, I wish i video tapped it to show you guys. I wanna thank everyone from the website because without you guys i wouldn't be able to read the surf as well as i do. Thanks a bunch guys and get out there cuz it is as hot as its gonna get for a while.

TIGHT LINES.

This is great info for noobs like me. We are heading to the AI State Campground on May 29th from NY; hope to have my line in the water that very afternoon/evening. We don't have any permits to drive on the beach, so it will be just casting from around the State Park Campground side of the island.

Seems like the Federal side gets much more love from you guys - any advice as to where our chances are best on the State side of AI?

Should we head towards Ocean City?

Thanks

wojtek

My buddies and I fished the Delaware tournament this past weekend...and it was a weekend to remember.....I popped the cherry on my new Avet MC reel with a 39 incher Friday night....and a beautiful 37.5 incher during the tournament.....I never ended up magging my Avet last year, but this year I bought a new Avet SX5:3.1 MC with factory installed magntic control....and that thing casts like a dream......not a single backlash, and I never had to thumb the spool once while casting......and it launches waaaaaaay out there......I have it paird with a 10' St. Croix Avid and was throwing just 3 ounces, plus bunker heads.....I'm hooked for sure.....I was always a spinning rod guy, but this thing has changed everything....

my buddy landed a nice 35 incher Friday night, and my other buddy caught a nice 37.5 during the tournament also....

Countless 4-5 foot big doggies...seemed like fat females.....and the usual skates.......

Bunker heads were the bait of choice, as the skates were sucking too much on the smaller baits...

I want to thank everyone for there always informative posts on this forum, as it definitely helps the cause when hitting the beach...

delaware-rockfish.jpg.eaa4aa89c54f737dcf

Keep them hooks sharp, and them lines tight.......

Wow...Awsome catches!...man that weekend has produced some seriuos fish...look like you guys had a blast. Nice pic and thanks for the report.

I love those avets as well...pretty much all I use from the surf.

Coop......

I got my first Avet last year from your advise.....but I didn't have the b@lls to drill a hole in it....Could never get the casts out to where I wanted them...always had to thumb it....countless backlashes......My new Avet MC cast from the factory probably works just like your custom magged reels........I will never buy another spinning outfit again......never.......The next rod will be heavier and longer......I'm thinking 11-12 foot, and I'd love to launch 6-8 onces with that reel.........I mean. 3 ounces+ bait, and that thing launched like a rocket..........My buddies got tired of hearing me talk about the reel...If I wasn't elbow deep in bunker heads, dodging skate spikes, or unraveling dogfish wrapped up in my leader, I was talking about the reel.........yup, I have issues, I know.........

I friggen love that damn thing........If my wife only new :eusa_silenced:

Stan

Great job, Guys!

got out last night, nothing till after dark then the big doggies showed, one horse shoe crab and one take down but didnt take the bait, spit it almost as quickly as it was hit, bait was a head. fished 6pm till 3am. also it was nice to briefly meet fishingeverynight and his dad at bucks, we will have to fish together sometime. going back out in a bit.

I was fishin with SBM, and it was a weekend to remember. I do have a concern...though. Not a single doggie got off, they were always hooked very well and deep...and the skates....you can always tell theyre on ...but more times than i care to mention, I had some light tapping...slack line....reel in to take out slack..more taps and set the hook, into a sizeable creature. Good fight for a minute or so, then the fish simply lets go / gets off. I'm wondering if these were Rockfish, or what. They fought like rocks...but i can't really get over it. Any comments?

I was fishin with SBM, and it was a weekend to remember. I do have a concern...though. Not a single doggie got off, they were always hooked very well and deep...and the skates....you can always tell theyre on ...but more times than i care to mention, I had some light tapping...slack line....reel in to take out slack..more taps and set the hook, into a sizeable creature. Good fight for a minute or so, then the fish simply lets go / gets off. I'm wondering if these were Rockfish, or what. They fought like rocks...but i can't really get over it. Any comments?

What kind of bait were you using? Size hook?

Trying to make a trip out on Wednesday. I do not have access to the ORV section of AI. Are there any other spots to hit other then AI? OC shore line?

Along the beach of Ocean City, as well as the jetty in downtown OC...Fenwick Island, in DE...AI, state park...AI, national park at the south ocean beach parking lot.

These are all areas you can park and fish...Good luck and go fish!

Trimlc...what Sam said...If you were using clam or crab...possibly a black drum

Well I got out this evening and after about 45 minutes caught a nice rockfish. Didn't measure it but over 40". Took a quick pic and released and it swam off nicely. Also two large doggies. Gonna try again tomorrow. Not sure but probably the low tide at night after the Caps do away with the penguins.:blob8::blob8::blob8:

Having trouble with adding pics here. Anyone got any tips on how to do it????

Fish was hooked on a cannonball rig and a small chunk.

I was using strictly Bunkah', with large 10/0 - 14/0 hooks.

I was thinkin more on the lines that these fish were Stripers....but never know. Gotts get back out there.

Went out on <ACRONYM title="Assateague Island">AI</ACRONYM> again last night from 7 to 9 and struck out again. I had one big pull at around 7:45 but other than that nothing. I've been out about a dozen times or more, this being my shortest outting, since late April and only have 4 skate to my name. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Maybe someone can give me a pointer or two.

Here's what I'm using:

- 2 10'6"s w/ spinning reels

- 50 lb braided shock leader on both

- 20 lb line (1 mono/1 braided)

- 24" 100lb mono leader w/ 8/0 hooks on a fish finder rig with 4-6oz pyramid weights

- For bait I've used bunker and clam (heck, one night I got really annoyed and threw out my line with half my sandwich on it.)

Penny for your thoughts?

Dave it was great to meet you at Buck's, we will be out again starting Thursday night thru the weekend. LAXFisher stop by and we can try to give some pointers, look for the White Honda Pilot. We will be past the bull pen.

Well i went out again last night to do some evening fishing with my cousin. Using bunker heads and tails. Fished from 7:30 until 11. My pole went off a few times and i didn't set the hook in time. Caught 1 skate. One of my rods went off with a piece of tail on it, at about 10 and i let my cousin try to take this one down and he hooked up with something huge. He had my pole bent end over end. He was fighting it for about 10 minutes and the line snapped on my 40# leader half way up the line. I think it was just frayed from being used to much. Believe me, next time i'm started with fresh leaders. That was the first time he's ever been fishing and it was probably my fault he lost the fish because i cranked the drag up higher because it was pulling alot of line out. Oh well can't catch em all. The only think that i'm mad about is we'll never know what it was, but i'm sure it was big.