4 posts in this topic

Hey Gang,

I'm new to the site, but thought I'd ask for opinions on GPS/Chart Plotters.

I've been using a Garmin hand held (Vista) for the past few years to basically track trolling passes and mark caught fish. I'd like to upgrade to something that will accept the additional maps with underwater contours. The Vista only has 24 MB of memory.

I'm watching a couple items on Ebay Garmin 478, and 182c.

Trying to keep the costs low < 600.00.

Any thoughts?

The 478 is nice because you can add the XM antenna and get radar/temp shots while you're on the water. The downside is the expense of the XM antenna, about another $250. If this is not a feature you are looking to use then take a look at the 276. Basically the same unit minus the XM capapbility and about half the price. I've had the 276C for a few years now and have been very happy with it. The only knock is the samll screen, but you're going to have that problem with any hand held/portable unit.

This is a little off subject but since were on the top of GPS and Fish Finders i guess its still somewhat part of the subject. I talked to a guy on the beach during the tournament last month and he told me he had a hand held GPS unit that would tell him the depth of the water up to 50 yards off shore. Does anyone know exactly what he was using, because it could be a great advantage to reading the beach or just finding a deep hole. I'm probably going to open a new topic about this just to see if anyone knows more. Thanks for your help guys.

Well, I don't see how a hand held GPS can do a sounding without something in the water....