6 posts in this topic

Friday, May 8th

Other fishing destinations boast about their excellent drum fishing. But folks from those parts would die for drum fishing like we have here. Not only do we have BOTH blacks and reds, there are lots of them and they are HUGE! thumbsupgif-1.jpg

I know its prime drum time: the water temps are right, and the full moon is this weekend. I was frustrated with the evening thunderstorms, and itching to go. When I saw the forecast, I made some last minute calls, and managed to get up with Gordy. Skip was a special guest-he has never caught a drum. So, the plan was set. We were shooting for reds first, but from experience, had a full complement of clams for blacks. yesgif-1.jpg

We pulled out of Rudee at about 6:30, and headed for the Eastern Shore with light southerly winds, and NO thunderstorms on the radar. A few buddies on the radio informed us of the black drum bite going on. So, we decided to flip the order, go for blacks first, then reds. biggringif-1.jpg

We set up for blacks in about 18 feet of water, with an incoming tide, and put out clams. Within 5-minutes, the bite was on. Gordy and I stood back and grinned when Skip hooked his first black drum. He was tickled pink. I think he has a new appreciation for these gentle monsters. We had a fish on almost constantly, with a few doubles for about an hour. These fish were huge. We left after seven fish, and they were still biting. Five of our fish were citations, with the biggest pushing 85-pounds at 51.5-inches. All were tagged and released, and only one dog.

We scooted over to the shoals for the reds. The moon was gorgeous on the water. We set out crabs in about 6-feet of water for another hour.

We had one run, a nice 49-inch red. Once the tide turned, we gave it 30 minutes then headed in with a content crew. Eight beautiful big drum in 2.5 hours. That happens only here in Virginia. Of course! So get out there and enjoy it!

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

Thanks Julie!

That will get the blood pumping for sure!

atta girl ! Good job JuBa ~ Glad you three got out for some pullage....

Great to see:eusa_dance:, now if I can only get myself a HO ride, cause aint nutting happening from da beach:BangHead:!