9 posts in this topic

Just read on another site that <acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym></acronym> has been closed 1 mile past the bull pen because of "nesting activity" of piping plovers.

:angry4::angry4:

:brave:

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDN THE BIRDS NEVER START NESTING THIS EARLY IN THE YEAR WE USUALLY GET AT LEAST TILL JUNE BEFORE THEY DO THIS DUMB MESS!!!!!!!!!:BangHead:

These buggers aren't endangered anymore. There are way to many closings. How about we lobby to get them taken off the endangered species list?? Or, just release some feral cats and be done with it.:angel9:

Good news went down today and its just closed for about a half a mile and theres a detour so you can fish past it there are signs saying to stay off of the marked area but the detour allows you to drive below it and past it.:icon_thumright:

Just for your info...considering the park service always gets a bad rap...there are plovers nesting...saw them for the first time in the closed off area. I've heard many say, there are no birds and its just an excuse fore closures. I have in fact thought the same thing. Not saying I agree with any closures period for these birds, considering the abundant foxes on <ACRONYM title="Assateague Island"><ACRONYM title="Assateague Island">AI</ACRONYM></ACRONYM> are more of a threat then people.

Just remember, we got to work with the park service...They are getting pressured from both sides and false unfounded accusations can have a negative affect on one side.

Just for your info...considering the park service always gets a bad rap...there are plovers nesting...saw them for the first time in the closed off area. I've heard many say, there are no birds and its just an excuse fore closures. I have in fact thought the same thing. Not saying I agree with any closures period for these birds, considering the abundant foxes on <acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym></acronym></acronym> are more of a threat then people.

Just remember, we got to work with the park service...They are getting pressured from both sides and false unfounded accusations can have a negative affect on one side.

Good Post Coop! I am glad to see that the NPS is trying to leave that small corridor open this year instead of shutting down the entire south end of the beach.

...These silly birds need to devolve already... enough of this prolonged descent into eternity ... time to get it over with...

can you still get to the fence,or is it closed with no beach detour?

Yep, he states above that there is a around it.

Always stop in and check though, this can (and has) change(d) daily.