5 posts in this topic

is it possible to harvest and mussels, clams, or blue crabs on assateague island around this time? Any advice is much appreciated.

I never heard of muscles being taken.

clamming is pretty good from what I heard, I never did it so I can't help you with the timeing.

As for crabbing, its just a TAD early, but may be worth a shot. The best place is right before you go over the bridge into the island there is a parking lot with a public boat launch that has a small fishing pier. This is where you can try crabbing.

Clams are abundant in certain locations behind AI...We use to fill up a 5 gallon bucket very quick via boat...most are chowder/quahog clams with some top necks and few little necks. Other areas are clammed out...like the parking areas on the west of AI. If you have a boat, you should have no problem finding clams that are off the beaten path...just be careful...if going by boat, it can get very shallow in areas.

Crabs are out...my parents have managed a couple dozen on their canal, but thats on the st martins/assawoman after a week and are not large and generally are never large throughout the season.

can't comment on muscles

The best place is right before you go over the bridge into the island there is a parking lot with a public boat launch that has a small fishing pier.

Forgive me for briefly changing the topic, but is fishing okay from that pier?

I am thinking about the kind of fishing young kids could try.

Thanks.

Forgive me for briefly changing the topic, but is fishing okay from that pier?

I am thinking about the kind of fishing young kids could try.

Thanks.

Yep, I see kids fishing there all the time.