8 posts in this topic

I'm just trying to get into some semi serious fishin' and have lots of questions.

I'm wanting to do some nearshore trolling for spanish. I've loaded my reel with 30# mono and have heard I need to use a heavier Fluorocarbon for a leader. How long should this leader line be?

Thanks,

12-18. depends on the fish. I use 15-17 main and 30 leader.. works for me.

thanks for the reply, but how many feet of leader line? I've heard everything from 2' to 100yds.

When I troll for spanish I use 20-30 lb main line (since I use the same trolling reels for everything just on lighter rods). I use #1 & #2 planers with about 15' of 20# mono to a barrel swivel to about 10' of mono or flouro to a clark spoon. Trolling at 5.5-8.5 mph. Make sure you don't use shiny swivels and spraypaint your planers (if you use them) flat black. Fish will hit the planer and you'll lose the spoon and leader or the entire planer.

Thanks Fish Aholic... Very helpful.

GT

Don't you need any wire leader for spanish macs?

I wouldn't bother paying the high price for flouro, mono and wire has been catching Macks for decades.

I don't use wire for spanish. yes they have teeth and losing rigs is a problem, but the blues tend to cost me more gear than spanish do.