16 posts in this topic

Fantastic! I went out with a buddy of mine who has a jet boat on the upper potomac looking for muskie. On either the first or second cast of the morning I had a hit. It turned out to be a 37" or so muskie that swam at me and then fought like the devil at the boat, including a couple of jumps.

Caught it on the muskie sized chatterbait.

A bit later I was casting a mepps muskie marabou bucktail for muskies and a 4 pound smallmouth came up and whacked it. :shock: I used to be surprised when this happended but I now realize that fish of all sizes will try to eat a 9" marabou bucktail.

While smallmouth are great fun to catch they are no match for muskie tackle. :)

Ok, ok, I'll go get my freshwater ticket.

I haven't had one for 20 years.

That Muskie sounds great!

Do they live in ponds/lakes too?

Hav'ta get me some freshie tackle...

Steve,

Around the Maryland/Virginia area they are in Burke Lake Va, and the Potomac. These are natural muskies. Many of the Maryland lakes have tiger muskies. They are bred between a pike and a natural muskie. The tigers do not breed, fisheries managers stock tigers in lakes to control the bream populations and give anglers a chance to catch a big fish.

Tigers are a prettier fish to look at, naturals grow bigger.

Great Job! Any pictures?

Coop, Sam,

Thanks! Those muskies are tough to tackle and tough to find. Lots of casting in between fish.

My buddy took a picture and will put it up on another site. For some reason I cannot post pictures on any of these sites. :(

Esox,

Hit "Post Reply" instead of "Quick Reply". At the bottom you will see Filename with Browse to the right of the field. Browse for the pic on your system and after that hit "Add Attachment", then submit at the bottom.

mucho congrats :!: Muskie= freshwater chark :lol: I've caught a few "tigers" down at Little Senaca years ago. Good Job Esoxangler :up:

I would love to catch a muskie, I'm only 20-30 minutes from Burke Lake which is supposed to be Virginia's Best Muskie lake. Still haven't tried it. I guess I'm a little intimidated since I've never fished for them before and have heard that some muskie anglers go years between catches

Steve,

Do I need to go to a site to host the pictures? Or can I just get it off my computer? Thanks.

Randy,

Little Seneca is where I do most all of my fishing! Great bass fishing there as well as tiger muskie from time to time. Small world. :)

Phil, you can upload pictures to this site directly from your computer.

Steve,

Do I need to go to a site to host the pictures? Or can I just get it off my computer? Thanks.

Randy,

Little Seneca is where I do most all of my fishing! Great bass fishing there as well as tiger muskie from time to time. Small world. :)

ok, cool. I really like that lake. caught alot of Bass there too :!:even got some video from one of our trips there. I haven't been ther in years, prob because I don't Bass fish to much anymore :oops:

they still rent boats there :?: and is that grove of trees still standing above the water? we hit one, while fishing and had a branch break-off and crash in the water right next to the boat, scared the chit outta' us :lol:

Damn, I gotta' get some lines in the water.....and soon :!:

Randy,

Yep they still rent boats there, and some of that standing timber is still there! You gotta watch out for that stuff. It does break off and fall into the water, also bees nest in there along with snakes. Don't want to bump in that stuff. :shock:

:idea: Hmmm, might have to plan a trip then, maybe in the fall. they still only allow electric motors :?: