56 posts in this topic

I have a feeling the surf fishing is about to heat up for sure. Feel free to post your reports here. Go gettum.:icon_thumleft:

I shore hope you're right. I've caught all the skates I can stands and I can't stands no more!

Well was out today and got nothing but doggies. They are thick.:confused3:

Well was out today and got nothing but doggies. They are thick.:confused3:
Are they those big smoothies?

Are they those big smoothies?

Yes Sam. I don't mind them too much, at least they put up a fight. No skates tho.

I switched to surf clams and I think they liked them better than the fresh bunker:confused:

Saturday about 6:30 p.m...outgoing tide..was testing the waters for next weeks Surf tourney, caught a 30" striped one from 3 R's...i was very happy to see him.

Had a couple of knock downs in progression going up the coast...like a school of migrating fish.

also, the porpoises / dolphins were about 40 yards from the beach.

IMG_1445.JPG.e8618cdd64b336411ee6c50e090

Nice work!! Thats the first actual report with a picture I've seen from DE beaches! Congrats!!

WOOHOO..nice job..hopefully those fish are biting next week for the tournament.. I'm tired of getting skunked at the tourney...

Porpoises are usually the "kiss of death" to surf fishermen. Last year everytime there were porpoises out in front of me, I got some stripers. I hope it holds true this year as well.

Great looking fish, my friend and thanks for the report:icon_thumleft:

I know im not imagining....but right after the porpoises went by...cruising south....I had two knock downs in progression going north. It was immediately after the porpoises swam by....like 5 seconds. Maybe something to it?

Fished Keybox to the pocket nothing but doggies. Moved to 3R's and nothing but skates. I did see a pod of porpoises, but no bites as they moved through. I am beginning to think I have lost my Mojo or something.:disgust:

I've fished 3r's three times over the last 3 weeks, and the doffies and skate have enjoyed my buffet of Bunker, spot heads and bloodworms.. Hope it heats up soon.. :)

I got out today with my 9 year old son. We started at Fenwick where I had done nicely last spring. From the moment we walked on the beach, I just was not feeling it. The entire beach looked shallow and the waves were running and breaking at a 45^ angle for the most part. My son started running round so I set up two poles with fresh heads and chunks. I fished for 45 minutes w/o even a skate or a doggie:icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

We packed up and headed to Bethany. The beach looked much better here. I was getting my third bait out when my 1st rod slammed over. I raced over and had a nice fish on the line. Headshakes and short powerful runs. I was pumped. I fought the fish in and was reaquainted with my old friend the smooth dogfish. This one went at least 15 pounds.These guys put up a nice fight, unlike the water filled boot fight of their cousins the spiny dogfish.

My boy and I spent the next three hours catching skates and more smoothies. About two, one of my rods really doubles over and I know it's a fish.

After a short fight I land this just short male fish:icon_rr:

The boy didn't want to go fishing in the first place, but asked when we were going back. That was the best part.

5852a556d9d50_ratsandfish5-09004.jpg.c71

5852a557177da_ratsandfish5-09005.jpg.03c

5852a5572229d_ratsandfish5-09007.jpg.336

YEAH!

Heading down for first trip of the year this Friday 5/08. Hopefully will be in the suds before 7:00am. Thinking North of Indian River at first and then south to 3r's if needed. Saturday I'm planning on fishing around Lewes, any news on Roosevelt Inlet or Lewes Beach yet? You know that's my problem when i visit, too many choices of where to fish. Any advice on a location to take advantage of the tide & moon Friday evening? How about baits, usual bunker, bloods and clams. Great fishing & great people..... See ya soon

Porpoises are usually the "kiss of death" to surf fishermen. Last year every time there were porpoises out in front of me, I got some stripers. I hope it holds true this year as well.

Great looking fish, my friend and thanks for the report:icon_thumleft:

I have also noticed an increased number of activity when porpoises are swimming outside the bar. The only conclusion I came up with is they may be pushing bait fish inside the bar into the safer, more shallow water.

Cool...I would agree.

:director:bring on the poropoises!

YEAH!

Heading down for first trip of the year this Friday 5/08. Hopefully will be in the suds before 7:00am. Thinking North of Indian River at first and then south to 3r's if needed. Saturday I'm planning on fishing around Lewes, any news on Roosevelt Inlet or Lewes Beach yet? You know that's my problem when i visit, too many choices of where to fish. Any advice on a location to take advantage of the tide & moon Friday evening? How about baits, usual bunker, bloods and clams. Great fishing & great people..... See ya soon

I know this saturday is the 2009 Delaware Surf fishing tornament, so your probably not going to be able to come on and fish unless your registered for the tournament. I'm pretty sure the area it covers is south of the inlet and down near the fenwick line. I guess its all of the Delaware seashore Park. So if i were you i would avoid fishing anywhere around that area on Saturday cuz it will be PACKED. But Friday you should be good. I would go with Bunker for the rock, bloods for the whitting and rock and mullet for the blues. Still kind of slow right now, but hopefully it will pick up for the tournament. Good Luck and may your lines be tight.

Justin

Seems as if a few have been running around in the surf. Hopefully the weather will be better this year then it was last year for the toruney. At least warmer then the mid 40's.

Last time there, a few weeks ago, there was a bit of a drop along most of the beach, which pretty much had me parking a little further back from the surf. Has it changed any?

Ho-Hum, just another day on the beach. Only caught 187 total inches of striper today. Was nice to be releasing the smaller 28 to 32 inch fish for a change. I caught a total of 11 stripers today using bunker and bloodworms. On outgoing tide had fun with the 16-20 inch schoolies then around 3:30 in the afternoon the fun started. I ended the day bringing two fish 33" and 37" home for dinner. Thank God the fish have started biting!!!!!! By the way I will reveal my secret spot for a small, ok it is tournament weekend so maybe not so small fee. Actually I was in my usual spot at 3R's

striper1-1.jpg.3d1648bc0e6a634c32050ba0c

5852a557ef762_striper2-1.jpg.871b1879a28

5852a5579102e_MistyBluePortEngine001.jpg

5852a5579ce72_MistyBluePortEngine002.jpg

Pretty work George. I guess you are fishing the tourney this weekend?

I know this saturday is the 2009 Delaware Surf fishing tornament, so your probably not going to be able to come on and fish unless your registered for the tournament.

Justin

The beaches are still open to all anglers, even if you are not in the tourney. Like smoothie said tho, I will be a little busy for sure.

Surfman,

It has been a little slow for sure. Roosevelt Inlet is producing a few flounder. Black Beach and near the pier has been producing a few short stripers and a few nice bluefish have been taken. Most are on flies. IRI has been producing decent stripers and some nice tog as well.

Best of luck

I would love to be fishing the tournament but dont know anything about it. Isnt it a team tournament?

Not a team tournament bluegill. Open to all, even walk-on. You can still enter at OIBT today until 8pm and starting tomorrow at 5am.

DMS #525

AMSA #1102

OBPA