10 posts in this topic

I see in a lot of pictures you guys seem to have alot of really tall sand spikes that look like they are metal?? where can you get them or how can u make them??? What are the benefits over the PVC tube sand spikes like i am using right now?

Hey Nate,,,pvc will work fine and I would make them around 5' and work them in the sand at least 16"-20",,,I bought 5' aluminum spikes and just put angled aluminum extensions on them to make them longer,,,I do like them longer when the swell is big or when there is bad grass,,,I am not sure whether there is any advantage over pvc, but the longer in length you go, I would then recomend some sort of a heavy gauge metal with the pvc attached to that to stiffen it up.

i have 2 pvc tubes about 3-4 feet....i might add some long angle iron extentions on to them...will that work? figuring right now i only have 2 setups for the surf?

The PVC works fine for me I get a 10 ft. stick and cut it on an angle in half. Having it up gets it out of the breaks ....

I was looking for a 12' piece of pvc today, no joy....

I looked at the 6' angle aluminum and they wanted $24.95 EACH!!!!

Currently, I'm using old bed frame rails. Yeah, for real.

But hey, they were sitting here and I needed angle iron, soooooo.....

I attached a pvc tube with a hose clamp and it works great.

Just got to be able to reach the pole and pull it out of the tube with tension on it.

Mine was too tall, had to lower it.

The metal spikes are great for the surf and are easy / cheap to make. Go to Home Depot and go to the lawn garden area where they have landscape materials. The green metal spikes are actually fence posts. They come in 3, 4, 5 and 6 ft lengths. Since I am vertically challenged I use 5 ft. Then you get 1-2ft sections of pvc and then attach them to the rod. There is a small flange / protrusion at one end of the rod, I use this for my feet to jump up on and drive them in the sand so make sure the pvc is attached to the other end. You can use hex bolts to attach but you can also use a good layer or three of duct tape up and down the length of the pvc.

the work like a charm. (however, these spikes DO NOT WORK at SPSP as I found out this year)

Cygnus, welcome aboard and thanks for the info. :-)

no problem. I wish I had more in the form of reports to offer but alas the stars of fishing have not aligned for me yet.

I'll get mine soon =)

Looks like a great w/e to try the surf .... n'est-ce pas?

cygnus - I feel your pain. "the stars" have not aligned well for me so far this spring either. Although I am keeping my fingers crossed for a couple weeks from now (21st-25th). What's your conflict? Geography? work? family? all of the above?

Yes all of the above plus having a hard time getting the boat in the water as well (shhh don't tell anyone :? )

My back went out on me last weekend but this Saturday I was able to get to AI (walk over only) We spent 6 hours 2:30 - 8:30

with nothing to show for it. Did get some good casting practice in on my penn 525 mag. This is my first conventional casting reel (of course other than trolling)

I hope you get out next weekend!