26 posts in this topic

How do you think i would do if i were to just cast for them off the beach because i dont have a kayak and its not in my budget at the moment??? if i do what kind of setup should i have because i will be looking for a new one by the start of JUNE so i can get down to AI

You will want all the line you can get. At least 300 yards of 50-60 lb. 300 yds is not very much and I normally wouldn't recommend such a small amount. But ya do what ya can do, 500 yds would be good. You can spool more with braid, but the cost goes up.

Typically, spinning reels are somewhat light in the bail area for repeated heavy usage. Plenty of ppl use them with no problem.

You can find some of the older ones on ebay that ppl are unloading 'cuz they're moving to conventional.

Of course I would recommend a large Penn trolling reel but you can't cast it. There's always a boogie or surf board for the delivery method, been there, done that and so has Coop.

Nate, there are plenty of sharks in casting distance but I would think it would be more productive at night for casting for the critters,,,I would recomend something that can hold at least 300 yds of line,,,you can go with braid with a much higher lb rating and get more line on the reel,,,make sure you use at least 2' of heavy malin wire followed by a "minimum" of 4' 100 lb + leader,,,if you get a biggun, there is a chance he may rub right threw your main line and could even go threw the leader,,,it doesnt take long,,,the longer and heavier the leader the better,,,and should you get a big one, you may have to change the 100lb leader with a fresh one,,,there skin can even rip up a leader,,,braid is expensive, and mono will work too,,,you could even get 20lb mono, but it is going to be a challenge if you do get a monster,,,seasoned salts can do it but someone knew may have a problem,,,the longer you have it on, the more likely he'll rub threw the line.

You can catch casting from the sand! If the conditions are right they are not that far out either. Last summer I did not have heavy enough equipment. I'm beefed up now, but not like the kayak guys.

Watch out for the rays. :) They will wear you out. :)

I am probably wrong but I think the best time is evening into night with the high tide flowing in. If your casting I think you need all the water you can get to bring them in as close as possible.

Yep, small to moderate ones are right behind the surf break.

You can easily cast to them.

Drag has to be set correctly on a spinner so you don't slip the bail.

You can have just as much fun tossin' from the shore as I can with a line taken out with a yak, just might be a smaller chark.

thats fine with me...im just hoping to catch one this year...right now my biggest setup is a 11foot rated up to 8 oz and a spinning reel with 275 - 280 yards of 40 lbs braid?

I've always used spinning gear because I'm pretty poor casting with conventional reels, wish I was better. I use penn 7500SS and 9500SS reels with 25# and 30# Ande line. I use about 3' of wire leader and have never used a shock leader and have landed a fair share of sharks this way. The key is to keep enough pressure on the fish to keep it from rolling up in the line and wearing it thru. The only failures on sharks up to 6 1/2' were crimping sleeves, my fault, and knots when I used another line besides Ande.

If you are going to be casting, I would recommend using 30# braid with a top shot of 100 yards of 20# mono. As coop said, you will need at least 12" of wire bite-leader and 4' of 80-100lb leader. I would use large circle hooks, since the J-hooks seem to gut hook the sharks. Bunker is a great bait as well as kingfish heads, croaker heads or anything bloody.

like i said befor im looking for a new setup and i think i migh make this one a little heavier so i can cast for some sharks this summer...

lots of great advice here Nate..... 8) :thx: :up:

Here is a picture of a shark my son caught casting from the beach last summer when we were just getting started sharkin.

shark1_144.jpg.39561f09f0aedb8fdb53ab8e1

Those are some nice sharks! what did ur son have for a setup?

It's the same shark, I just messed up the photo thing.

Setup is shimano 6500 baitrunner and a 12' heavy action rod. 20 pound mono steel leader, circle hook. Used bunker chunks for bait. I found out later that a fish with the tail cut off is better? Anyway we just started doing it at the end of the shark season.

Sam and the boys inspired us! :mrgreen:

Lots O fun. :)

thats what is happening to me! i started off with light surf fishin but now want to go after the SHARKS and hopefully will score some nice ones this year wth you guys!

esox - thanks for the info!

so maybe it is possible to try this shark thing out with my existing surf equipment??? :) Is it a general rule that the smaller sharks are closer in? Hoping that if that's the case...if I take my baitrunner 6500 or penn 8500, 20-30lb test, wire leader, and a heavy rod, I could safely fish closer in without worrying (too much) about getting over my head with a shark the gear couln't handle...that's the theory anyway... I know you can never be sure. But I don't have the budget right now for a huge setup to use for nothing but sharks...

do you guys like your baitrunner???? i was thinking about one but need a little bit of info befor i decide on that or a casting tica or daiwa...woudl it be able to handle sharks from the beach?

Nate- I know we've chatted about this before, but YES! I absolutely love both my baitrunners (3500 and 6500) and I hope to get a third soon (4500). But for what i'm reading about this shark thing - I question the capacity of even my 6500. But i'll leave that for the extreme fishing experts :mrgreen:

Nate- I know we've chatted about this before, but YES! I absolutely love both my baitrunners (3500 and 6500) and I hope to get a third soon (4500). But for what i'm reading about this shark thing - I question the capacity of even my 6500. But i'll leave that for the extreme fishing experts :mrgreen:

X's 2 :!: I've got 4 of them. 2 3500BR on 6' mh "inshore" rods that I use for live-bait fishing and now 2 surf set-ups, 1 4500BR on a 10' Penn and a 6500BR on a 11' Tica and 0 problems outta' them. I've got lots of different brands of reels and so far the best, most trouble-free have been the Shimano's :up:

yeah the line capacity is what i was ?ing...I was looking at that or a tica casting reel on a 12foot tica rod...i wnat to get a BIG real that holds alot of mono instead of braid for the charks cuz i hear they cut line...has anyone heard or used a TLD or Torium from Shimanno???

I have two 6500 baitrunners and really like them. I understand that they are not the long cast spool reels but it seems that I can get them out there far enough. If I hook into a fish that spools me that will be one big fish!

trust me i know about the bps rods :lol: thats what im planning on getting = or if they dont have that ill be getting a TICA from harbor Tackle. I live about less than 2 min from BPS soo

sorry guys that last post was from me...forgot to log in!

$99.88 38-100-007-00 6-12 OZ LURE WEIGHT

20-50 LB LINE 12' OM12SC

$129.88 38-154-004-00 20-50 LB (cape point special)

6-12 OZ LURE WEIGHT 12' OMCP12SS

The two rods are made of the same blank but the cape point special has different guides, different reel seat, and no handle for weight reduction. I would personally go with the original one just because the reel seat on the cape point special looks cheap to me.

Thanks for the info Pierman, I'll look into it.

Which BPS did you get them at?

Arundel?

Hey i agree pier-man about the reel seat in the Cape point...it doesnt seem like it would hold the reel in a tough fight!