17 posts in this topic

We'll I had a few friends call tell me they were catching some black drum through the week off of the surf, so we(me,chris jr,hunter, and a friend of mine)had to make a run down.We hit the beach sat 6am, caught skates and dogfish all morning on after another, at a little after 1pm my rod doubles over and after a 20+min battle my first black drum of 09 is on the beach @ 49.5"L(friend took the girth I'll post it later) took some quick pics & measurement and got her back in the water and sent her on her way for someone else to catch again.

black-drum.jpg.ac5faacfa29e6d93c5bd0d4b6

Bait of choice was sea clams, on a fish finder rig with a 8/0 circle.

Fished until dark sat, and all day sun,along with Morty, his better half & Destiny who came down sun for the day and caught skates and doggies. But had a great time with friends and family..

Good God, how many times do I have to see that thing?

J/K WTG Chris, you don't see them that big in the surf too often. Now tell everyone the truth. IT BEACHED ITSELF:happy8: LOL

That is one ugly mother...good looking fish though :happy5:

kidding aside, fantastic catch and kudos on the release. Stripers any day now as well.

GREAT, GREAT looking fish.:icon_thumright:

what's your guess 70#?

I'm guessing 60's, my buddy just called me the girth was was 40.5", I'm going to try and find the formula for a black unless its the same for evrything.

I just tried several of those calculators I could find and I don't think it works on black drum, because they give some of the wall weights.

I'm guessing mid 60's +

Awesome catch! One of these days I am going to break my drum curse!!!

Way to go! Will be making my way down there for the next 3 weekends to fish. I can only hope to be as fortunate as you were. Again, awesome fish.

Incredible catch, Chris! Thanks a lot for sharing and congrats. That is a catch of a lifetime.

Nice fish is anyone catching anything on the Maryland side of AI near the Virginia line. Heading down Friday night for the weekend to soak sum bait.

GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY...that is an awsome catch...now, what did you think was at the end of the line during that lengthy fight?...since you used clam, were you sure it was black and did you ever see it? I know the smaller ones I catch I never see them...belly close to the sand most of the fight.

GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY...that is an awsome catch...now, what did you think was at the end of the line during that lengthy fight?...since you used clam, were you sure it was black and did you ever see it? I know the smaller ones I catch I never see them...belly close to the sand most of the fight.

Hey coop, same here never seen the fish until the last five minutes of the fight, the whole time until then I was thinking big ray most of the time until I seen its tail com out of the water in the wash.

Then it was like Oh crap, after horseing it the whole time the wash is usually were you loose them at. Nerves!!!

Hey Chris,

Saw your pic and I was telling my son that one had to be 60# plus! :eusa_clap: Way to go!!

Charkbait....too funny!!! :D

Congratulations! That is one amazing fish!

Please provide more details...

What pound line were you using, how far did you cast, what was the tide doing, what did you have for breakfast and so on...:icon_thumright:

I promise to return the fish if it finds one of my hooks.

Congratulations! That is one amazing fish!

Please provide more details...

What pound line were you using, how far did you cast, what was the tide doing, what did you have for breakfast and so on...:icon_thumright:

I promise to return the fish if it finds one of my hooks.

Was useing my usual surf set up, 17# Sufix Tritanium Plus, 50# floracarbon shock with a fish finder rig 8/0 Gami circle hook baited with fresh sea clam, 1.5 before low tide.Breakfast was of coarse REDBULL!! LOL:D:D

Anymore info would be Spot Burning:eek::eusa_shhh::icon_wink: LOL