17 posts in this topic

We'll I had a few friends call tell me they were catching some black drum through the week off of the surf, so we(me,chris jr,hunter, and a friend of mine)had to make a run down.We hit the beach sat 6am, caught skates and dogfish all morning on after another, at a little after 1pm my rod doubles over and after a 20+min battle my first black drum of 09 is on the beach @ 49.5"L(friend took the girth I'll post it later) took some quick pics & measurement and got her back in the water and sent her on her way for someone else to catch again.

black-drum.jpg.ac5faacfa29e6d93c5bd0d4b6

Bait of choice was sea clams, on a fish finder rig with a 8/0 circle.

Fished until dark sat, and all day sun,along with Morty, his better half & Destiny who came down sun for the day and caught skates and doggies. But had a great time with friends and family..

Good God, how many times do I have to see that thing?

J/K WTG Chris, you don't see them that big in the surf too often. Now tell everyone the truth. IT BEACHED ITSELF:happy8: LOL

That is one ugly mother...good looking fish though :happy5:

kidding aside, fantastic catch and kudos on the release. Stripers any day now as well.

GREAT, GREAT looking fish.:icon_thumright:

what's your guess 70#?

I'm guessing 60's, my buddy just called me the girth was was 40.5", I'm going to try and find the formula for a black unless its the same for evrything.

I just tried several of those calculators I could find and I don't think it works on black drum, because they give some of the wall weights.

I'm guessing mid 60's +

Awesome catch! One of these days I am going to break my drum curse!!!

Way to go! Will be making my way down there for the next 3 weekends to fish. I can only hope to be as fortunate as you were. Again, awesome fish.

Incredible catch, Chris! Thanks a lot for sharing and congrats. That is a catch of a lifetime.