18 posts in this topic

Looks like a new record striper has been weighed in originally at harbor tackle,,,57lbs,,,Awsome!!!,,cant wait to see a pic of the beast,,,I couldnt be more happier for the angler :D:D !

What? Where? When? How? :mrgreen:

sam.. u beat me to the post! i was going to say the same thing...cant wait to see some pics of the beast!!! :lol:

Man I know I should have gone fishing Well good going to the guy or gril that hooked that one...

WOW! Here's hoping a member here got it! :shock:

Can't wait to get down there next weekend.

The fish was caught by Gary Smith of Western Maryland. The 57.2 lb. striper on a fresh chunk of bunker at 1:00 in the morning. The striper measured 53 inches and had a girth of 30 inches. Great job to Gary!

record_192.jpg.4467c058bf48c2aa0fdbec6c9

By now almost everyone probably knows that an unofficial state record striper was weighed in at Harbor Tackle Saturday morning. Due to it being unclear as to DNR’s regulations, the fish was taken to another bait shop to officially weigh in the fish. The reason being Larry Jock from the Coastal Fisherman said that the fish had to be weighed on a scale that had been certified by the State within the past year. I have talked with a representative from DNR and he said that the State did not require a fish be weighted on a certified scale as DNR certifies the scales themselves after the fish has been recorded. I met the requirements to certify the fish on Saturday and did not need assistance from anyone.

The following is what I have learned are the procedures to follow when a potential state record fish is caught and brought to be weighted in.

• Try to contact DNR to notify them that a potential fish has been brought in to weighed.

• If cannot contact DNR, the weigh station must document the weight, take measurement of the fish, and take a picture.

• Contact DNR during regular business hours to notify of the potential record breaker.

• DNR will then come and calibrate the scales the fish was weighted on and a marine biologist will study the picture to verify the weight and measurements.

• A scale does not have to certified by the Department of Weights and Measures as DNR will do this themselves.

• Until DNR finishes their investigation the fish is the unofficial record breaker.

Saturday I was following DNR’s procedures and if I had been able to complete the DNR’s requirements and paperwork, the fish would have been still recognized as the unofficial record breaker striper.

Bev, this site considers Harbor Tackle it's official weigh station. You did the right thing and I'm sure your shop is ready to handle any fish we can catch.

It really is looking nice in there. You have an excellent supply of fresh bait, new equipment and fair prices. Terry did a great job on the floor too! :v: :mrgreen:

Bev, You know me and I'll bring all my fish by :) :) Thumps up to Harbor Tackle

Bev, I'll bring my 60", 60+lb fish by as soon as I catch her :shock: I'll work on that in the comeing weekends.

I will swing my fish by also! :D The only reason I go anywhere else is if Harbor Tackle doesn't have what I want first. Which doesn't happen very often.

Yep, me too, just as soon as I get the breaker with my new Taco rod from HT!

Thanks guys. Terry & I appreciate your friendship.

Beverly

Bev - Just think of the headline when I come in with my 60lber - "Man's first ever legal striper is also record fish!" :mrgreen:

Oh - I can dream can't I?

I've got DNR's phone numbers, scales, and camera ready. That's the second time I've weighted in a record breaker striper and your fish being the third time - I've got the procedure down. I will be waiting.

Gary Smith called me this AM to tell me that Ake's scales have been calibrated by DNR and they were off a couple of ounces. Mine weighted were correctly.