Steve

Pics from Thursday morning at AI

23 posts in this topic

Some pics from the 24 hour marathon.

lineup_715.jpg.65af339526153e076ea1d02b3

cooking_452.jpg.ca759e64b63332f32cbf38e3

scott_drum_980.jpg.cf5d237b709b1ccc7037a

sam_drum_856.jpg.1cbcb9e26bfe64d45ff7305

Oops, didn't take the first time, here's Coop landing. I think this is where Matt submerged his boots. Kind'a rough to have wet cold feet!

Ah, Bunker? Those aren't waders.....

DOHHH!!!! :evil:

landing_155.jpg.39a1d4dcb0997e39ae5e57ec

Wow - great pics. Looks like a beautiful day. I've never seen let alone caught a drum before. I'm working on getting down there this wed - sat (10-13th). Will post details in the "join me" section once I know for sure. Hope the drum are still there....

Wow - great pics. Looks like a beautiful day. I've never seen let alone caught a drum before. I'm working on getting down there this wed - sat (10-13th). Will post details in the "join me" section once I know for sure. Hope the drum are still there....

'yeah, me too. I could prob head-out friday even, full moon on the sat 13th, fish all night 8)

nice pics guys :D

The Blackies are indeed golden when alive. I just looked at mine and it's a browner than gold color and dull. Has some gray to black tones mixed in. Looks like a perch on steroids.

Steve, I swear yours had to been over 20lbs,,,that thing had the broadest shoulders I ever seen on a fish.

Just ate the fish,,,excellent,,,doesnt even taste like fish,,,to me, the fish had a crab taste or shellfish taste, maybe beacause it's all it eats,,,very different and very, very good,,,I would imagine it would make excellent fish cakes,,,yummy :chef: ,,,it's now my wife and kids favorite fish, so I have to go out and get another monday, bummer :D .

Ok, here's the scoop Coop....

These measurements are from a 24 hour dead fish.

Width 11"

Length 24"

Weight 16 lbs minus the guts that I left on the beach (maybe 2 lbs?).

Her eyes are yellow and she likes to cuddle by the fireplace and read a good book.

And yep, I took her home with me.

The head alone was about 6 lbs.

The stomach was empty.

The rest of the feesh is in the freezer for Chark season.

A nice 6 lb head on a 16/0 hook, here Tiger Tiger......

Coop, quick, how'd ya cook it?

I'm ready to cook now....

Sorry Steve, just read the message,,,lightly coated it in olive oil, sprinkled salt, pepper and old bay and cooked it on the grill,,,had to turn it carefully,,,I gave my parents a filet and they made fish cakes with them and they said they were unbelievably good,,,if I get another, I am going to do the same.

by the way, mine was filled with sand and on closer examination it was actually shell of hermit crabs,,,the ones that live in the water, not really sure on the technical name but they were very small and tons of them,,,there mouths must be like vacuum cleaners sucking up the sea floor.

Amazing, I cooked mine the same way, except I did what CG did and pan seared it.

Oh man, I love this fish!!!! It didn't taste like oysters, crabs or anything else. Had a taste all it's own and delicious.

Yeah, I remarked to Bunker about there being what felt like sand in the belly. Perhaps it was ground up shell from the li'l critters. It was such a minute amount though, maybe a teaspoon or two.

Best guess is to say the fish was hungry.

In my book, this beats striper.

Steve, I may have to agree, its as good if not better than striper and now falls under as one of my favorites,,,I love fish, but the drum was just so different (not a fishy taste) than any other fish I ever ate,,,I never had tog, I wonder if the flavor is similar to a drum, they are shellfish eaters,,,my father, who has caught real big drum really didnt care for it, maybe because of all the worms but he definitely like the smaller version and said it was excellent,,,in fact he was amazed how great it tasted.

Now you are realy killing me :( can't wait.............

Dave, I know how you feel,,,I just talked to a guy who said he caught a mess of LARGE stripers yesterday,,,that just erks me!!!,,,I just want to close up shop and get the heck outta here but I am going to have to wait until monday,,,I'd go today after work, but I really need to spend some time with the family,,,going monday and hope to get a couple,,,conditions look real good as long as the wind doesnt blow hard, right now not bad at all but that could change as the storm approaches, I hope not :D .

The one I cleaned last year had sand also. I wonder if the sand doesn't act to help grind the shellfish almost like a gizard in a chicken, turkey or morning dove.

Very nice guys! :mrgreen: I hope you guys don't catch all the drum before the weekend when I arrive. Who knows, maybe some blues around then also. A great time to be fishing.

I envy you guys who live at the shore. I wish I did. :(

[quote I envy you guys who live at the shore. I wish I did. :(

X's 2 :lol: but my days a-comming :mrgreen:

I hear ya about the drum being good eating, they're a bitch to clean though! I filet and skin them, the scales are too tough to be messin with.

Good job!

what kind of rigs do you guys use for drum(black and reds)...ive never fished for them befor but plan too a little more offen!

Nate, I used my 2 hook fish finder rig with clam,,,seemed to work great,,,or you could just use a regular fishfinder rig or a hi lo rig or even a three way rig,,,dont use any blue fish rigs with the big floats because they feed on the bottom,,,I use a 8/0 gammi circle hooks, the thinner gauge ones work best with clam,,,they are strong locomotives when you get them in close,,,I actually enjoy the fight of a 20lb drum over a 20lb striper,,,they are a blast and look forward to hooking one within the next week, if they are still here.

thanks for the info...it should come in handy on my annual trip down to the OBX in october with the family!