5 posts in this topic

taken from RDT board. will post more updates later.

"I hate to be the one to tell you. As of 2:30 this afternoon, the POINT is CLOSED! Reason being, 2 pair of oystercatchers showing signs of breeding behavior. Sorry guysfrowngif-1.jpg

Kristie

You could still get to the Point, by walking in the water, out of Park Service "Jurisdiction"

<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->

Dang it. I was just getting ready to do the "road trip" thing. Oh well, story of my life, a day late and a dollar short:angry3:

National Park Service News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: DATE: April 14, 2009

NPS Announces Cape Point Closure

Acting Park Superintendent Paul Stevens announced the temporary ORV access closure of the popular Cape Point area in accordance with the requirements of the consent decree.

On April 14, 2009, approximately 0.2 of a mile south of Ramp 44 along the ocean shoreline, National Park Service staff observed American Oystercatcher breeding behavior which resulted in the closure. The width of the beach is very narrow in the area commonly known as “the bypass” and the required consent decree buffer of 150-meters to the north and south resulted in a full beach closure. There currently is not an alternative ORV access route to Cape Point.

For more information on beach access, see:

http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisi...ehicle-use.htm or call

252-473-2111 ext. 148.

-NPS-

<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->

Lots of beach to fish though...The water temps are better there than anywhere else. I have house in Frisco and make it down from MD as many times a year as I can when no renters. I fish "The Point" religiously but have caught just as many fish along north or south beaches. Still think it is the best spot...don't stop making the trip just because the "The Point" is closed.

4Wheelers