26 posts in this topic

Fish NJ and drive Brigantine Beach. The sand is usually packed down pretty good. On occassion, you drive through some powdery soft stuff but it isn't often. How are the beaches in Delaware? Could an '04 Explorer navigate without too much difficulty? Also, where are you permitted to drive and are you limited during the summer months? Work with a guy who raves about Delaware Beaches. Likes Indian River Inlet alot. Any information would be appriciated.

You must get a beach permit to drive on <ACRONYM title=Delaware>De</ACRONYM> beaches. The sand varies from place to place, but if you air down properly, you shouldn't have too much trouble. When you purchase your ORV permit, you will get a map with areas outlined for use.

Fin Addict,

So I have a full size chevy express. Rear wheel drive. Can I drive on the beach as long as I buy the permit and deflate my tires? Should I deflat all four or just the back two? What pressure should I deflat them to? I love surf fishing and have a resident De fishing permit.

Fin Addict,

So I have a full size chevy express. Rear wheel drive. Can I drive on the beach as long as I buy the permit and deflate my tires? Should I deflat all four or just the back two? What pressure should I deflat them to? I love surf fishing and have a resident <ACRONYM title=Delaware><ACRONYM title=Delaware>De</ACRONYM></ACRONYM> fishing permit.

Darwin,

First, welcome to the site.

Second, I should have been a little more specific about vehicles allowed to operate on <ACRONYM title=Delaware>De</ACRONYM>. beaches. The regulations in <ACRONYM title=Delaware>DE</ACRONYM> reads "Only 4 wheel drive vehicles with a minimum ground clearance of seven inches that are licensed to operate on public roadways are elidible for surf fishing vehicle permits".

So, if your truck is 2 wheel drive, I would have to say , no.

I would think that the sand makeup in DE is the same as on Assateague and O.C.

If so, I would give a resounding no. Being towed out can get expensive if it comes to that.

Hey Fin Addict,

Thanks for your quick response and I was afraid that was the case. I am relatively new to Delaware. I live on Lighthouse Rd. right on the Fenwick, OC boarder. I'm an ol Jersey boy myself. I guess as the season heats up Ill have to hook up with some of you salty dogs, who have four wheel drives, so that maybe we can fish together. I have been Toggin all winter on the Princess and Judith M to keep my lines wet and cant wait to hit the beach for some Blues.

Thanks for the info. How many miles of beach can you drive with a valid permit? Do they close all or a portion for plover nesting, etc?

Hey Fin Addict,

Thanks for your quick response and I was afraid that was the case. I am relatively new to Delaware. I live on Lighthouse Rd. right on the Fenwick, <ACRONYM title="Ocean City">OC</ACRONYM> boarder. I'm an ol Jersey boy myself. I guess as the season heats up Ill have to hook up with some of you salty dogs, who have four wheel drives, so that maybe we can fish together. I have been Toggin all winter on the Princess and Judith M to keep my lines wet and cant wait to hit the beach for some Blues.

Darwin,

You are more than welcome to hitch a ride with me. The surf should be turning on anytime now.

By the way, 3r's Rd, Keybox RD and others have a parking lot and walk-over fishing for those without 4wd's. It is just a short walk to the surf.

Thanks for the info. How many miles of beach can you drive with a valid permit? Do they close all or a portion for plover nesting, etc?

Cape Henlopen has more closures than any other beach. There has been a few on the Del Seashore Parks, but not many.

The beaches are broken up in different areas. Cape has 2 miles maybe, DSSP has about 5 mi.

One thing I wanted to share with you guys, is a little info about fighting for beach access. As you know our access to the beaches are becoing restricted every year. Please consider joining an organization that is fighting to keep our access rights for many generations to come.

www.dmsclub.net (Delaware)

www.keepersofthebeach.com (Maryland)

Darwin,

You are more than welcome to hitch a ride with me. The surf should be turning on anytime now.

By the way, 3r's Rd, Keybox RD and others have a parking lot and walk-over fishing for those without 4wd's. It is just a short walk to the surf.

Thanks a lot Fin!

I would love to hich a ride sometime and get to know you. I would be happy to meet you somewhere. I am also going to join the organizations you listed so that we can continue to have access to our beaches. Surf fishing is probably the most natural and environmental way to fish. If your primary purpose on the beach is to go fishing, I see no reason why we should be denied access to any more beaches then we are already.

Thanks a lot Fin!

I would love to hich a ride sometime and get to know you. I would be happy to meet you somewhere. I am also going to join the organizations you listed so that we can continue to have access to our beaches. Surf fishing is probably the most natural and environmental way to fish. If your primary purpose on the beach is to go fishing, I see no reason why we should be denied access to any more beaches then we are already.

Your going to fit right in on this board!

I actually like Delaware's restriction that you have to be actively surf fishing to drive on the beach, it opens up more room for fisherman and eliminates some of the "party animals" who leave a huge mess behind them in places like Assateague Island. I have on many occasions (especially sunday mornings) stopped and picked up a garbage bag or two of empty beer bottles or cans from an all night party on the beach. This is just my humble opinion on the subject and is a bit narrow minded but like a certain part of our anatomy, everyone has one.:angry4:

Its been a while since I've seen trash on the beach but it does happen. See you over the dune.

We're in the minority i guess, Party Animals, who actually take care of the beach. My family has been driving on the beach since 1983, and i have since 1996. It drives me insane seeing diapers/beerbottles/plastic just sitting on the beach from the morons the day before. :angry5:

As the guys said earlier, Delaware beaches are a formidable beast at times, and 4wd is a necessity not just to follow the law, but that the sand has eaten quite a few axels.

Last year my favorite was a guy had just bought a new GMC Sierra, the Salesman told this kid and his dad that it ran so well in 4wd that you didnt need to air down....FAIL. Stuck right in the path entrance. Just a few hundred yards down was a F350 jacked up with 40inch tires stuck.

You can get away with Airing down to 21-24lbs or at least i've generally been fine in that range. If you are really struggling, i just wait until we get parked and drop it down(so long as i can back in without digging in too much)

I actually like Delaware's restriction that you have to be actively surf fishing to drive on the beach, :

Nothing better than an SUV full of kids pull up next too you and start swimming right where your line is....... I just accept it as part of the deal, but having a rod in the rod holder is not actively fishing in my book. I've only seen one person with kids actually be told by the ranger to put a line in the water...... Of course bad day on the beach beats a good day at work anytime.....

Nothing better than an SUV full of kids pull up next too you and start swimming right where your line is....... I just accept it as part of the deal, but having a rod in the rod holder is not actively fishing in my book. I've only seen one person with kids actually be told by the ranger to put a line in the water...... Of course bad day on the beach beats a good day at work anytime.....

Couldnt have said it any better, nothing like seeing kids run out of the car, and get tangled right in your line or getting too close for comfort. I still yell at my younger cousins when they are out in the water to watch out for other peoples lines.

We usually pull up our lines if the kids want to go swimming, but have them baited and ready to go if the ranger wants the line in. We actualy got yelled at last year for having the fishing line on the beach break, and for being parked/chairs setup on the other side of the beach pond(last year was an oddity at South Bethany where you had the pools all summer). I ran over thru the pool to get some lunch, and the ranger yelled at us for being more than 100feet away from my line. :evil3:

I understand what his job is, but why is he not there locking up the drunks who were driving up and down the beach in a Hyundai, going at least 60mph in an awd. All i was hoping for was that AWD to burn up and them get stuck on the beach. :angel2:

I have every one sice 1977 and no, they are not for sale. LOL

Have just begun my experiences on del. beaches..so far so good...plan to be considerate of those more experienced and be a proper stewart for the beach. The Henlopen beaches are a good start.

I fished @ Savages Ditch July 6 & 7 all day without a stinking bite ! I was baiting with bunker and switched to squid ! No bites ! I need a little advice ! Can anyone help?

Luna,

First welcome aboard.:hello:

Small stuff around this time of year, except for bigger sharks and rays.

Try using bloodworms on a top and bottom rig with small hooks. Spot, kingfish and croakers will bite. Use whole mullet rigs for bluefish.

Latched onto something big. Could have been a ray or a shark but was unable to even get a small change of direction no matter what I did. Finally realized this critter was out to snare and tangle the beach. Funny the sense of humor they have. Crank down and cranked back for separation at the Albright. It worked. Might have had some fun except the beach was shoulder to shoulder with folks and lines

Hey Finaddict,

Thanks for the advice! How far offshore do you usually get into theese fish?

Generally I put a big chunk of bait on a hook and cast it as far as I can! I have had some luck catching Rays,Skate,and small Sharks with this style of fishing.Four weeks ago I landed a Ray @ Conquest Rd. snapped a pic and sent it to Old Inlet Bait & Tackle. They identified it as a Bull Ray Nose!

I would like to start sinking my hook into some other species of fish!

Hey,

Thanks again!

My usual set up is big bait as far out as I can get it, summer/fall I favor mullet rigs.

In close down size with smaller baits I favor fishbites bloodworms, and whatever fresh cut bait is around........

of course if nothing happens for a while I'll switch things around......

worst case.... I'm not catching anything but I'm still chilling on the beach.....

How well do the fishbites compare to the real thing? I've seen them in the shops but was always skeptical about them.

I am debating on a new rod/reel outfit ! I have a couple spinning outfits and just picked up a new Tsunami 10' surf rod for a Penn 750 I have laying around. I want to try a bait casting setup! Any advice on a good setup for a novice baitcaster?

Luna,

The tides and water clarity will depend greatly on how far to toss you baits. I find that the kingfish are and early bite and like bloodworms or fishbytes. The fishbytes last a little longer and is a great alternative to the real thing.

The spot is close to the surf as are the flounder. Blues are in and out of the surf looking for something to eat. When using a whle mullet rig, remember clear(clean) water use bright float colors. Stained water or dirty water use darker color floats.

For a conv. set up a Slosh 30 is a great starter reel. It is almost bulletproof and is very inexspensive. Good luck.:icon_thumright: