9 posts in this topic

:icon_surprised:i will be fishing the surf and piers of the cherry grove area the week of may 17th any tips on lures to use would be apprecited. I have had suceess before with bottom rigs tipped with shrimp using 1/0 hooks. Should I down size? 2 years ago landed 3ft hammer hed off Apache pier using this rig. Just looking for action and species and baits to use. all advice will be greatly appreciated. thank you fisherman Rick Ps I use 8ft rod with17lb test

Those aren't "bluefish" rigs. They are actually mackerel jigs. You can buy them at walmart, which I recommend. I think they are just a couple bucks each. The ones at walmart have silver and gold skirts on the hook instead of straws. Get your longest rod (I personally use a 15' diawa eliminator) Attach a 3oz weight on the bottom and jig away. Its probably one of the most productive methods of fishing the piers. You'll catch a variety of fish, blues, spanish mackerel, green backs (make sure you offer up everything but the Spanish to the guys king fishing the end of the pier, that will go a long way in getting you in with the locals and get you more information from them than just sitting there) Minnows floated under the pier will catch flounder. Shrimp will pull in whiting. always fish the SOUTH side of the pier, I've fished most of the peirs in the myrtle area and for some reason the south side provides the fish you're looking for and the north side has always provided nothing but baby sharks for me (and others I've seen). You will see plenty of sharks cruising under the pier, DON'T attempt to catch them or get them to bite, it is illegal to target sharks in Myrtle. You will hook into spinners and rays while using the jig, at that point just point your rod and hold your spool until the line breaks and just chalk it up to a fishing loss. If you want to target sharks, Check out seven seas fish market right on the road heading into murrells inlet. Last time I was there they gave me scraps to use for bait. Head down to pawley's island and fish the south inlet just above the mouth. TONS of sharks in the area. Hope this helps....Perry's Bait & Tackle is the best shop in town IMHO. Great place for bait and handmade rigs.

First of all what you the 2 or 3 hook bottom rig with shrimp like you were using will definately produce. Also shrimp and bloodworms are the best bait for whiting along with sand fleas if they are around and squid works well also. The spanish should be there and gotcha plugs and stingsilvers work well, also the "mackerel tree" you can find at almost any tackle shop including walmart work for the spanish and blues. Flounder can be caught on live mullet or mud minnows and live shrimp. Also gulp shrimp and swimming mullet work really well. Fish the south side of the pier in the spring and summer and the north side in the fall and winter. Hope this helps good luck

thanks for the tips but I'm looking for a location or a special lure presentation that might work off the surf or pier. Also do you need live bait for flounder and are they prevalent in the surf. I have used the multi hook jigging rigs with a decent amount of sucess. Are ther any Apache pier regulars that would advise how far out to fish for what speices? Should I use smaller hooks than a 1/0? Cmon pros help a northern fisherman out.

I see I'm not the only one catching the springtime fishing fever! Now if I can just catch some fish...

Heading to NMB later this week. Haven't fished in ocean in a long time. Will attempt to do some surf and pier (if I can afford it). Ordered what Cabela calls a Red Fish Rig...60 pound mono, #2 hook, and a red float at the hook the keep bait off the bottom. Not sure which bait to put on...maybe shrimp, fiddlers, or mud minnows. Any locals have any advice, and if you do, I will be extremely grateful. Thanks in advance!!!

Good fishing.

Barry in Raleigh area

Try all the above baits :) Don't forget to pick up your Saltwater fishing license if you're fishing from the beach and not a pier. The pier should have an all inclusive license that covers everyone on it, but from the beach, you'll need to pick up your own.

Try all the above baits :) Don't forget to pick up your Saltwater fishing license if you're fishing from the beach and not a pier. The pier should have an all inclusive license that covers everyone on it, but from the beach, you'll need to pick up your own.

From what I understand in reading the SC License requirements, you are only required to have a Saltwater fishing license when fishing from a boat. It is not required when surf fishing.

New law takes affect ??? June or July 1st.

New law takes affect ??? June or July 1st.

Can you provide a link? I cannot find anything relating to a new law or regulation in relation to surf fishing. The only new regulation that I see is the limits set on striped bass but that is for rivers and lakes in a specific region.

Thanks