10 posts in this topic

Need line for penn 760 slammer, would like to use #20, looking for brand name, type,color. where to buy or have spooled. Thanks.

Not sure where you are, but Bev at Harbor Tackle in W. OC could help you out.

Sufix Tritanium Plus if you can find it, if not berkley big game would be a good all around line.

Sufix Tritanium Plus if you can find it, if not berkley big game would be a good all around line.

I have a friend who has a couple of 1500 yd spools for sale. 17#. It the old stuff.:icon_pirat:

thanks for the offer ,but i only need 300yds. Thanks again for your input, dotdad.

What type of fishing and where?

Any of the major brands will do, Berkley, Ande, Suffix.

The color depends on the water color.

Backwaters go green, open waters blue, or you could just go with clear.

Pretty much any place that sells rods and reels will have line.

Get a small spool of shock leader too, like 80 pound. I use clear for that. Put about 20' of it on the end so it will wrap around the spool a couple/few of times with your rig hanging off the end. IIRC, I use a uni to uni to pair the two lines.

Thanks Steve, all of my fishing with this rig (penn 760 slammer and penn power surf 10' rod) is done in the surf on AI and OBX. Have only ever used mono line.

Thanks Steve, all of my fishing with this rig (penn 760 slammer and penn power surf 10' rod) is done in the surf on <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> and <acronym title="Outer Banks">OBX</acronym>. Have only ever used mono line.

Lots of people never would even consider touching braid and they still catch tons of fish using only mono. Braid is just another tool in the bag to help in certain situations.

I agree with Jim, braid is for when you need LOTS of line, you'll get enough mono on the Penn to handle AI, except for the rare monster that comes along once in awhile. Braid helps in areas like mangroves and heavy grass to cut through. You should be able to handle most everything at AI with 300 yards of 20 pound mono.

You have a few goofballs that string up with 1000+ yards of heavy stuff, but that's for a different kind of fishing all together.

(note: I resemble that remark) :D

Thanks steve, I'am old school ,so will fish with mono like always.