28 posts in this topic

I'm working on a project heaver. I couldn't ask for a more interesting project, I've been given carte blanche to create the 'perfect' heaver. Now perfect means many things to many people but to ME it means:

13' with the perfect balance of weight and power

on the fast end of the action spectrum

performing at a premier level with 8-10nbait

capable of casting 12oz+bait when needed

built with specific fishing functionality (i.e. guide ring sizing for knots and weeds, butt length for heaving heavy payloads etc)

premium components

bulletproof functionality (I break a lot of rods...this will not be one of them)

(notice "pretty" isn't on the list, the idea is to produce a 'stock' rod and leave room for customization)

I've already learned a ton and will start to really have fun now that the testing can begin.

My competitive comparison will be:

AFAW Rock

Fusion Mag

RS 1569

RS 1509

CTS 8-12

Lami 1502

My hopes are that in testing I can come up with a design that will perform either in line with or at a higher level then the competitive blanks but have a much more palatable price point, AND off the shelf availability.

I've fished all of these rods for more then a year and they all have things I like/love about them. So far I'm taking all the best from each and building it into "my" heaver.

I'll keep ya'll posted but can't get too detailed until if/when it is ready for market (August if testing goes well). I'll be having some casting "demo days" around Baltimore and at <ACRONYM title="Assateague Island">AI</ACRONYM> to get as much feedback as possible. After all, just because I think it is great doesn't mean anyone else will like it.

Any how I now have very raw samples I just got my hands on. 4 rods in 3 different actions to test. I taped up a rod and my initial 5 tosses @10oz in the dark were promising, can't wait to shake the cobwebs out of my technique and really hit it!

Hope to keep everyone updated, should be a winner all around.

Good Luck Ben! I am interested to see what you come up with on this project! If you need any test casters please let me know!

will do, I hope to get as much feedback as possible

Sounds very nice, I wish I could see it in action.:icon_thumright:

Ben, that afw...is it flimsy at the tip. I casted one and just found it way to flimsy at the tip and was classified as a heaver...not sure if it was the rock. Look forward to the results with the cts...I have casted all you mention except for the cts and the rock, unless its the one I casted, which I don't think so.

I would be very interested in trying that cts if you get to the beach with it in hand.

Ben, that afw...is it flimsy at the tip. I casted one and just found it way to flimsy at the tip and was classified as a heaver...not sure if it was the rock. Look forward to the results with the cts...I have casted all you mention except for the cts and the rock, unless its the one I casted, which I don't think so.

I would be very interested in trying that cts if you get to the beach with it in hand.

I think you casted the CTS before. Dixie had one at one of the flings and you tried it out.

I think you casted the CTS before. Dixie had one at one of the flings and you tried it out.

I thought that rod was rated up to 8 oz's.

The CTS 8-12 is a more well powered 1569, I like it a lot.

not to steal the thread but I have been wanting to get into rod building myself and any books or info on how to would be a great help. I have the afaw beach and found the tip to be really flimsy, I feel more comfortable loading my tica 8-10 ounces then I do with the afaw, It feels strong but the tip has me a little weary, I was tossing with it quite well last year but something has changed and now i can out throw it with my tica, ben let me know how it turns out and pm me any info you think would help me out learning to build rods. thanks ahead.

Hey Dave, I have a DVD or two that I bought about rod building that you are welcome to borrow. I am just pretty much learning myself but I did a ton of research and reading before I started.

The basics are fairly easy and i am sure you will pick it up quickly.

I have the 4-8 version of the CTS... If the Heavier model is anything like mine the walls are thin.. You seem to break rods so you might want to keep that in mind..

indeed kmw, it is definitely part of the equation. Ain't broke the CTS yet...

I thought that rod was rated up to 8 oz's.

I can't remember which ones I had then?

indeed kmw, it is definitely part of the equation. Ain't broke the CTS yet...

CTS may seem a bit thin, but it has some giddy up and is tough as nails!

I threw 16oz a touch over 100 yards with no issues at all! Put as much of my arse into as I could. I would break my back before the rod.

all, need a bit of ass. or, is casting gonna be, "push button"? FISH.FISHING. WHAT CHANGED? fishermen have ALWAYS been about your GEAR. BUT, I think its about fishing. I have more than I will ever use. TRAIN/HELP the new people. JMO

I can't remember which ones I had then?

Dunno - but you sure casted #$#$ out of the thing!

I just got a quick question about casting heavy baits. I like to use whole bunker head when fishing for rocks. But sometimes when I use heavy sinkers with them i slice my index finger on the line. Does anyone have any recomendations on how to prevent this from happening. Also does anyone have a preference for sinker weight using a whole bunker head. Sometimes it seems like its not holding good if i just use a 4 or 5 oz weight. I know the current and wind play a part but what is a typical size weight you would use for a bunker head.

Also i use a 10"6 custom ugly stick which is rated at 15-30# line does anyone know what amount of weight it is rated to cast, it doesn't say on the rod anywhere.

J

My guess is that you are very much overloading that rod with 6+a bunker head.

Typically you'll see 6oz and up for throwing heads and I find that with the right rod heavier weights will tow the head out further then lighter baits (up to a point).

As for getting your finger cut you have a few options. First make sure your drag is locked down on your reel before casting, this will eliminate any sawing effect from line pulling out (be sure to change it back though!). I'd recommend a thumbdinger over a breakaway cannon because you can use it on any rod. Get an XL and it covers your index finger nicely.

Once you get frustrated with where that rod is landing your bait come to me and I'll set you up with a delmarva special heaver.

I just got a quick question about casting heavy baits. I like to use whole bunker head when fishing for rocks. But sometimes when I use heavy sinkers with them i slice my index finger on the line. Does anyone have any recomendations on how to prevent this from happening. Also does anyone have a preference for sinker weight using a whole bunker head. Sometimes it seems like its not holding good if i just use a 4 or 5 oz weight. I know the current and wind play a part but what is a typical size weight you would use for a bunker head.

Also i use a 10"6 custom ugly stick which is rated at 15-30# line does anyone know what amount of weight it is rated to cast, it doesn't say on the rod anywhere.

A little bit off topic, but your answer is a breakaway cannon. Post a new topic and I am sure you will get more than enough explanation.

the heaver project is moving along nicely...good distance so far better then a lot of the rods. I'll post more throrough results soon. Hope to try them on some fish this weekend.

update:

I'm going to leave a couple rods with Bev for demo days. I have the first week or two spoken for but let me know and I'll coordinate a day or two for some guys to try them out.

They are ugly because they are prototypes but they sure can bomb! Spinning and Conventional available.

Thanks Jim,

You've been enough of a rod ho over the past few years to have a pretty good comparison base...looking forward to your feedback!

Ben, would you be interested in modifying a old fenwick 9.0 surfcaster spinning rod into a 7.0 boat friendly conventional set up? Saw your work in some pics a couple years ago. I tried to send two PMs but I don't think it is working tonight. PM me or I'll check this post in a couple days. Thanks, Pat

FINALLY! Just in time too.

We made quite a bit of improvement in the layout and components since you last saw them. Skinnied the handle down quite a big for smaller mitts as well.

Plan is to sell built rods. The site will have options to select a few options:

Barrier Island Elite 6&bait-8&bait or Barrier Island Magnum 8&bait-10&bait

Conv or Spinning

Handle length

Sm - 28"

Med - 30"

Lg- 32"

XLg - 34"

Choice of Xflock or cord wrap which is my personal favorite.

fuji everything - guides are alconite

I'll personally be building the first 30 rods to inspect each one, after that they may be pushed to the factory.

All rods will be black on black for a stealth bomber type look.

$250 built to order...not too shabby.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. For now only built rods will be available but I may let some blanks slip by...