9 posts in this topic

still learning the surf game have lots of ?s i have 10-11ft m/h 4-8oz rods set up w/ 16# to 17# runnning w/ 30# shocker. tie shocker w/ blood knot and terminal w/palomar. i mainly use f/f rig w/8/0-9/0 circle hooks is this a sufficent set up are the knots+line strong enough thanks

IMO, I wouldn't go below 17# test. The knots are fine. I use a 50# shocker. I think 30# is to small. When fishing for big game, I will use a 8/0 Gamigatzu circle hook or a 13/0-15/0 Mustad Demon.

Looks good to me. That shock knot leader all depends on your casting style and what size weight you are casting.

If your rigs aren't breaking off when casting then keep the 30lb line as a shocker. If you even occasionally snap the line when you cast you might want to move up to 50lb shock line.

There is a cardinal rule of thumb that your shock leader should be 10lb per ounce you cast. so if you are casting a 4oz weight you should have 40lb shock leader on. Personally for me, I use 50lb shock leader for anything up to 8oz and I step up to 60lb or 80lb shock leader for anything above 8oz.

What size running line you use is also a function of your fishing style. If you like to use your drag a lot during the fight and play the fish then you can get away with 10 or 15lb line for most species you are going to catch. If you like to get that fish in as soon as possible and pretty much lock down your drag you are going to want 17 or 20 lb line. If you are fishing Catch and Release it is usually better for the fish to get them in as soon as possible, snap a quick picture and get them back out in the ocean. Long extended fights on small tackle are fun, but they are extremely hard on the fish.

Another thing to remember with line diameter isn't just strength it also affects other things, such as using a smaller diameter line has less drag and therefore you can get away using smaller sinkers. There is also reduced slack in the line when the current is ripping, less wind resistance when casting so your casts usually go further, your spool also stays fuller and that helps with casting distance as well. If you use conventional reels, its a lot easier to blow up (birds nest) a small diameter line as opposed to a large diameter line.

There are many other things to think about when choosing line size, I just wanted to demonstrate that its more than just what size fish you are catching, although that should be a strong deciding factor.

Both responses are on point

my findings are that ON SAND for me 15# up to 25# test doesn't correlate to a significant difference in distance.

One more reason for going heavier is that your line is almost never in perfect condition. With abbrasion from sand, shells, etc 20# is a nice insurance policy and 25# depending on where you fish might be preferred. HOWEVER, 25# mono on a spinning reel is not a great idea, if going above 17# on a spinner I'd consider moving to 30#+braid.

thanks for all the input i will put it to use on weds weather does not look great but i gotta go hopefully i will have something to report

What do you guys think of just using 50# braid? I put some on one of my reels and I think it casts much farther than even 17#. Since I bite at knots it is really thin and works for throwing heavy weight. So far so good for me. I hope to not throw money into the sea with the 50# strength.

What do you guys think of just using 50# braid? I put some on one of my reels and I think it casts much farther than even 17#. Since I bite at knots it is really thin and works for throwing heavy weight. So far so good for me. I hope to not throw money into the sea with the 50# strength.

I have not had good luck with braid in the surf. It just doesn't have the abrasion resistance of mono.

I love braid, you can get so much more on the reel.

On the heavers I don't go above 35 lb.

I use these in the surf zone and also in the FL mangroves.

I change it after about 50 trips.

I have not had good luck with braid in the surf. It just doesn't have the abrasion resistance of mono.

Jim I got to agree with you on braid in the surf, with the sand and shells just one small nick and you can lose a fish and never know that your line had any damage done to it. with mono you have a better chance of catching a nick... Now when it comes to boat or fresh water braid works great. as always just my 2 cents....