1 post in this topic

The 2nd event in ARC’s Old Dominion Canoe and Kayak Fishing Tournament Series

The April 5th Shad Fishing Tournament at the James River Fall Line wasn’t all skunky. Appomattox River Company did a fine job of organizing and managing the event including a cookout afterwards. The river was high, muddy and fast flowing. It was also full of Shad that didn’t want to bite.

Of 13 anglers, four caught fish. Wayne had two, Terry had five and third place. Second place went to Rob with nine fish caught on a flyrod. First place was soundly taken by Tom with twelve fish. You may not know but I was Tom’s partner. I watched him land fish after fish while skunk stench wafted into my clothes and up my nose. I drove to Newport News with the windows down and had to shower twice before the wife would hug me.

I can tell you that it was a grand day to be on the water. It was bluebird skies, light winds and a chance to meet new people that enjoy paddling and love to fish. That’s going to be a plus anytime. What was the minus? “I gotta get this skunk outta my Yak.”

There’s another chance on May 3rd, Bass Fishing at Newport News reservoir. Come on out, meet new people, see old friends.Register for any or all of the tournaments by e-mailing Vic at fishing@paddleva.com or call the Kiln Creek store at 757-890-0500 and ask for Vic.

By the way, Cory Routh showed up with a one man production crew for a new TV show that will feature kayak fishing. Ruth and I enjoy watching fishing shows and we are looking forward to one that is dedicated to yak fishing. All the best, Cory. We hope the shows are a big success.

Mac and Ruth