4 posts in this topic

new guy to site kinda new to the surf i was wondering does wind direction play a role in catching/not catching fish in the surf thanks in advance

MOST DEFINATELY. You will get a variety of answers to this question. These are my thoughts. A NE, E, SE wind is best for stripers and bluefish. A NW wind just muddies up the water. A S wind is ok, but I don't do much on it. A W wind, I dislike the most.

When the wind blows out of the E in any direction, it stirs up the bottom a bit. Fish will be looking for all kinds of food. This wind also pushes the bait closer to the beach for surf anglers.

By the way, my favorite wind for drum would be a SE wind:icon_wink:

Direction is tough because many beaches face in different directions...I like to have the wind in my face when I am looking straight out in the water...onshore wind.

My favorite is a moderate swell, swell rolling straight on the beach, and no wind or slight west breeze...remember, some people love a strong offshore wind too and have great success...I love it for sharkin but hate it for skeeters...so who really knows for sure:dontknow:.................

I have been skunked and also caught fish in every wind.

Like Scott said, depends where you are. On AI, a W wind will bring the biting flies onto the beach and I have not found anything to keep them off you, except a smoky fire.