15 posts in this topic

Will be surf fishing AI May 1st to 5th '09 without off road vehicle,any info will help. where to go and what type of bait ?

You can fish the walkover at south beach. Shouldn't have any problems with swimmers at that time, maybe some surfers if the waves are crashing.

For bait I would go with a big chunk of bunker or head on a large circle hook.

You can fish the walkover at south beach. Shouldn't have any problems with swimmers at that time, maybe some surfers if the waves are crashing.

For bait I would go with a big chunk of bunker or head on a large circle hook.

I would have to agree. Bloodworms might be a choice for bait as well. Try to pick a break in a sandbar.:angel3:

Will be surf fishing <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> May 1st to 5th '09 without off road vehicle,any info will help. where to go and what type of bait ?

I usually go out monday and tuesday's I could give you a lift if you'd like, just pm me and I will get back to you.

As always, match the hatch. Give 'em whatever they are feeding on, Bunker is a good bet.

i am a walk on fisherman (dont get down enough for orv permit) and have had pretty good success caught may 1st keeper striper and plenty of blues last year north off the state park i am headed down for 1st trip of the year on weds cant wait

i am a walk on fisherman (dont get down enough for orv permit) and have had pretty good success caught may 1st keeper striper and plenty of blues last year north off the state park i am headed down for 1st trip of the year on weds cant wait

Thank you for info,iam also a new member to this site,what about parking,also is the north section open to fishing only?

hey dotdad. you can park at the state park store/bath house parking should not be much of an issue this time of year think it is 3$ on the honor system not sure what time the gate opens think the national side is open 24hrs if you plan do alot of walk on fishing i would recomend a surf cart got one 2 years ago best money i have spent it hauls everything i need for a full day of fishing without wearing you out

The best of luck to the both of you who are walking on. I look forward to a "fishy" report. Go gettum':cya:

I walk over quite a bit. It started when I accompanied my wife's class of sixth graders on threir annual trip. On that day I caught a couple of ling (hake) and a small shark. The kids loved that. It is now my spring tradition to accompany her class and fish. I bring enough rods for any of the young'ns to try. I fish at the bath houses on the Federal side. I post when I'm headed out in case you want to meet up

I walk over quite a bit. It started when I accompanied my wife's class of sixth graders on threir annual trip. On that day I caught a couple of ling (hake) and a small shark. The kids loved that. It is now my spring tradition to accompany her class and fish. I bring enough rods for any of the young'ns to try. I fish at the bath houses on the Federal side. I post when I'm headed out in case you want to meet up

I like the federal side as well ... not because of the better fishing but because they allow mans best friends (dogs and beer). This time of year I just have the dog but when it gets hot there ain't nothin' like a few frosty corona's with lime to cool you off while you are casting into the waves.

Don't forget to use clam, crab, or even sandfleas on one rod...black drum are normally running then...put up a great fight and fun to catch. That time frame I have half with clam and the other bunker heads/chunks.

Good luck

hey dotdad. you can park at the state park store/bath house parking should not be much of an issue this time of year think it is 3$ on the honor system not sure what time the gate opens think the national side is open 24hrs if you plan do alot of walk on fishing i would recomend a surf cart got one 2 years ago best money i have spent it hauls everything i need for a full day of fishing without wearing you out

Having a bum knee; SMC how far of a walk is it on the state side to a nice place to fish from where you park?

Thanks for any info.

Orest

orest the walk is not bad just over the dune and find a spot just depends how far you want to walk i find that there are less people around on the north side but i think any dune crossing will do state or fed that being said my back is acting up again and i am considering orv permit for next trip good luck

:icon_profileright:

Having a bum knee; SMC how far of a walk is it on the state side to a nice place to fish from where you park?

Thanks for any info.

Orest

Hey Orest,

I made the hike on my wheel, before the surgery. The sand is finer therefore the hike is tougher thanSPSP. I rested a bit