4 posts in this topic

What does a man have to do to get a break in the weather? Well after watching the wind over the past couple weeks and the storms over the past couple days; and seeing the 90% rain chance for today, my hopes of today being my window were dwindling fast! Here's the deal; I had the perfect crew pending. They wanted to go as bad as I did so I was watching the weather very closely and began to see a northeasterly shift in the storm cell which gave me hope. At 5am this morning I called Erik and told him the storms were north of us, that they appeared to be continuing north, and we had our window and it was on!

Of course I had satellite weather on board to keep a close eye on any developing systems and every safety precaution was observed!! I decided to go out of St. Augustine which would give us even more of a buffer between us and the storm system and it was a good decision. The seas were glassy and the wind was minimal (for a minute!!) I went to a spot I hadn't been to in a while and that one spot is all it took. Between 8:30 and 10:30 we had 10 red snapper (released several shorts), 4 vermillion snapper, 2 lane snapper, a short mutton snapper, 2 gag grouper (18lbs each), several sharks, a triggerfish, and a 15lb cobia. The wind really picked up about double what the 10kt forecast was, and the seas began building as a result so I made the executive decision to cut our losses and head to the hill. Made it back to the dock at 11:45 with a fish box full of fish!! Great trip gentlemen.

101_0868.jpg.e7f9c773d2080c3450d1b71d199

101_0871.jpg.68716fcbc4f29d09d16f6968e0e

101_0881.jpg.92b145624baaf66e836605add42

101_0867.jpg.a2fbfb798ab52f2fd037a3b3f49

Quite an eventful trip. What kind of sharks are they?

good job sqeakin it out...im out from the same ramp tomm...how deep did you fish?