37 posts in this topic

BTW, the wire is very short...its only about 6". The new scupper hole for the transducer is actually all the way in front of the foot well area next to the area for the finder. The feet will never touch it. The old prowler had the scupper/transducer hole in the back...really don't understand that.

Matt, Humingbird has a nice exchange program. I am getting the 525 and the transducer is not the one I need. I can exchange it for the transducer that will fit the boat at no extra cost. At least this is what I have been told. Picking up the finder today or tomorrow.

Matt, Have you done any night fishing in the back bay down there? If so, any luck?

yes thats correct. I think theres a form you fill out and you do a transducer exchange throught the mail. I have not done any at night in the yak. I have a spot I want to try but just havent. at the moment I dont have a light for everyone to see me. plus the spot is actually pretty easy to fish without one. I will do it with one though one of these days. its some lights on a dock. I see all kinda of fish is the lights there. small stripers, trout, drum, and flounder. I have also wanted to do a camping trip but just havent had the stars align right to do it.

I got my transducer installed on the yak. Nice how it fits perfectly in the scupper hole. Worked great...found some areas where it goes from 7' and drops down to almost 25' quickly.

I got my transducer installed on the yak. Nice how it fits perfectly in the scupper hole. Worked great...found some areas where it goes from 7' and drops down to almost 25' quickly.

uh oh, watch out fish.

another thing I need to make is a rod holder up front that wont be in the way when I pole or paddle standing and I can easily grab my rod without taking my eyes off the fish I have in my sights.

The water temp for a through-hull shoot evens out after about 2 minutes.

This may not be enough to get an instant reading when specifically seeking gradients, but is pretty darned close.

When fishing gradients, I'm more concerned about the weird flows than temp. :D

Bad thing about using Goop, the transducer came loose during transport and I have to stick it again. I'm thinking about using the angled metal mount that was included and totally encapsulate it in goop with the TD resting against the hull. Don't know how that will work for temps, maybe some goop under it to allow the temp exchange.

Anyone know if the temp exchange rate for Goop is close to what it is for the hull material? I'd hate to know it acts like an insulator...

man, that sucks. did the goop pop off too? or was it just the transducer? my kayak has fallen off the top of my truck 5 times or so and I beat it to crap and its still there solid.

Don't know, have to look. But I hear it rattling around.

I'll check before I head to Lynnhaven.

did you scuff up the hull with sandpaper before you put the goop on? not that you need to but it helps the bond between goop and hull. thats what I did and like I said I hae had mine fall off the top pf the truck several times from a wind gust and its still bonded.

I love the tip earlier about the plastic containers and velcro. What is the anchor solution?

Side note: if you are talking to Matt (Pier_man0909) by his truck, don't stand on the side of his truck if the wind it blowing.

I love the tip earlier about the plastic containers and velcro. What is the anchor solution?

Side note: if you are talking to Matt (Pier_man0909) by his truck, don't stand on the side of his truck if the wind it blowing.

lol, thats only when loading and unloading. everyone is fine once its strapped on.

Whew, just loaded up two yaks on the J-racks, in a breeze.....

Matt, the bond was broken between the Goop and the hull. I have to use a razor to get it off the transducer. I'll scuff up the hull next time before applying.

Off to Lynnhaven in the morning to meet up with Dixie....

Time for a few brews first!

well darn. your gonna come almost all the way here, lol. yeah, it shouldnt be too hard to get the transducer out of the goop and once you do just go over the area your gonna mount it in the hull with some sandpaper first