37 posts in this topic

Hey guys, here are a few photos I found of fishing kayaks with rod holders and other accessories. That's one of the great thing about kayak fishing is that you can make your kayak any way you want it.

Post some of your pics.

lots-of-rod-holders-1.jpg.cbadd800c7f8ce

lots-of-rod-holders2.jpg.5bd677867caaa45

I'm not going to go all out on the customizations yet. If I upgrade, then there's no telling.

117_1701.jpg.5212d27900b576604a43cf08186

117_1707.jpg.003427ce80f5810fe58b7587eab

That first one is hideous....

Looks like a shrimp trawler without the nets...

I'll post a pic when I'm done with mine, another week or so.

I have a fish finder and an anchor trolley on mine and thats it. nice and simple. I guess you could count the livewell too. I was just getting ready to send you a message asking how your progress was coming. everything coming okay?

That first one is hideous....

Looks like a shrimp trawler without the nets...

i agree! looks like some of those rods don't have reels....maybe he's rough on equipment!

have you guys seen theyaks that have the trolling motor mounted between your legs? they had one at the shop where i bought mine. they had another with pedals and the lower unit of a trolling motor underneath, similar to a hobie but with a prop. kind of defeats the purpose in my mind. i guess its like the compund v crossbow debate....

Matt, I have everything done except the anchor thingey. Might not have time before the trip south. FL Keys lookout!!!!!

save some fish for the rest of us. good luck in FL. post some pics of the boat and the catch.

With all the normal trip prep and pimping the yak, I completely forgot that I need a smaller camera.... Kind'a tough with a full-sized Canon SLR in the yak.

Not to mention the time it takes to get it out of it's watertight floating bag and prep it.

I don't think that that first guy has enough rods:icon_pirat:. i just have a customized milk crate on mine haven't got the money to upgrade it yet.

fishing-kayak.jpg.fbbc3d353c3579faf0a7fa

fishing-kayak-1.jpg.4e4f7343352a574771ce

fishing-kayak-gear.jpg.c4c60c93922450d23

fishing-kayak-rod-holder.jpg.4b43361fdec

fishing-kayak-rod-holder-1.jpg.a66deb937

Ill get a better pic of it up later tonight rearranged all the rod holders for convienance and one right behind the seat ready for action instead of all of them behind the seat. Going to go geta scoty this week for the center consol for the blue fish speck tourny im in this saturday

Well here is the improved version of my milk crate i did this the day before i got my kayak so i didnt have all of the rods behind my seat and to make it easyer to get stuff out of it.

Without rods this is what it looks like:

Behind seat

fishing-kayak-behind-seat.jpg.f800dc6212

Right side

fishing-kayak-1.jpg.7a912df8ad281c75dacc

Back

fishing-kayak-3.jpg.62f81e20daa6d6c10448

With rods

fishing-kayak-4.jpg.0aeb588dd574ccc4ecdd

fishing-kayak-5.jpg.efc26f82317892e07e41

Gotta fly the colors :icon_rambo:.

fishing-kayak-6.jpg.212bf7a99b77c195768a

This is what i did today since i could not get out on the water. I took some Ziploc container and a Rubbermaid container and put velcrow on them so that they would not slide around in the dry storage. The Ziploc one is for my phone and my camera its not as good as a dry box but it will do. The smaller Rubbermaid is for my cotton balls with glass cleaner for my sunglasses. (Read this trick in a saltwater sportsman magazine a few years ago) never had a use for it until now.

fishing-kayak-7.jpg.4c40f33f7bcd244aa4df

fishing-kayak-gear.jpg.ac99687b144c9dc1f

fishing-kayak-gear-1.jpg.3e9e2631681dec6

fishing-kayak-gear-2.jpg.f2198d993bc2c46

I also went out today and got a net from walmart for a decent price $13.63 with tax. Its a frabil not too big and not to small i hope only time will tell. Didn't get a shot of the shaft but it is about 3 feet long without the net.

Size comparison to a Ride 135 seat.

fishing-kayak-gear-3.jpg.71d20bf8c059801

fishing-kayak-gear-4.jpg.4d4e4508e755c43

It also has a nice deep net. It hangs about 2 1/2 ft.

fishing-kayak-net.jpg.4d2cf69969148553fb

This is a work in progress.

I have Coast Guard approved lighting on the yak, with a battery in the X-Wing unit. Also have a headlight and lighted compass. GPS and fishfinder/depthfinder also powered by battery.

Still need to do an anchor trolley.

5852a559a558e_KayakingforReds.jpg.1be791

5852a559adb20_Waitingontheriver.jpg.9e88

5852a559b6759_MalibuDeckedOut.jpg.792ea5

sweet. looks nice steve. what did you catch?

Sun and salt.

I haven't really customized yet because it is only about 2 weeks in my possesion, here are some interesting things already prepackaged on my new Moken 12 by Feel Free. Check Out The Wheel In The Keel section of the kayak. It is a real head turner when I take my kayak out of the water.

5852a55dbb3c0_completedetail.jpg.ee85689

how do you like it? I saw one of them once but never paddled one or knew anyone who did.

Great info, guys! I am getting my new fishing kayak ready for the summer and really appreciate the pictures and advice. :happy7:

how do you like it? I saw one of them once but never paddled one or knew anyone who did.

In all honesty I am very happy with the kayak, I like that the front end rides high out of the water, it is a very stable kayak. I have recently fished out of it on Jamaica Bay during a kayak fishing tournament. The kayak did very well in the choppy water, it is a very well balanced kayak.

It handles very well and the tracking is good. The price was right for a kayak with this much storage space. I like the fact that during transport I can put my pfd, anchor, a couple of loose tackle boxes in the Bow storage compartment and not have to worry about losing anything.

The only problem I have is My truck has a 6' bed and this kayak is 12' long. I am in the process of getting a truck rack made for it.

Also the wheel in the keel is great, you should have seen the looks :eek:

I got after making my landing at the Concrete Ramp on J-Bay. When I got out of my kayak and picked up the front end and walked up the ramp with it.

Most of the guys had Hobie Kayaks and they were struggling to put on the wheel carts. They actually thought I was dragging the kayak on the bottom and that I didn't care about my kayak until they saw the wheel.

really I didnt think that much of it when I saw it. its good to hear a review though.

my current ok trident 13 stock yak...changes on the way...adding to rod holders, fish finder and gps. Will post as changes are made. hope this wind dies down.

100_1202.jpg.fa6d2599a10a4d2c106033d047c

Scott, you can mount the transducer inside the yak slightly forward of midship. Use ample quanties of Marine Goop to hold it in place.

This yak can take a thru hull transducer. The hummingbird transducer will fit perfectly in place...the bottom of the yak where the scupper hole is molded for that exact transducer ...nice that hummingbird and Ocean Kayak are made by the same company.

thru hull is actually what steve was talking about with mounting it with goop. the signal shoots through the hull. that is a cool deal ocan has with hummingbird where they have a scupper hole designed to hold a modified transducer. one of the big advantages you get there is an accurate water temperature reading wheras mounted inside the hull the temp reading will most likely be a little off. one of the disadvantages it that you will have exposed wiring on the deck. the FF I use is the garmin 300c and I think its perfect for me. I see more companies doing the same thing pretty soon.

Matt, Humingbird has a nice exchange program. I am getting the 525 and the transducer is not the one I need. I can exchange it for the transducer that will fit the boat at no extra cost. At least this is what I have been told. Picking up the finder today or tomorrow.

Matt, Have you done any night fishing in the back bay down there? If so, any luck?