12 posts in this topic

I am new to the site but have been reading for a while. I grew up on the Eastern Shore but now live in Pa. I am getting back into surf fishing and should be making my frist trip of the season to AI on Easter Weekend.

Anyone have any recomendations on rig type and where you buy them from? I have thought about Fish Finder high/low rigs but the they are 15 dollars for 3 rigs, anything thats cheaper and works well? I have a 10ft' rod and a 12' rod, In was thinking about using 15lb test on the 10ft and 25lb on the 12' both with 50lb shock leader, sound ok? Its been years since I was into surf fishing, I am sure the basic idea is the same...

Great site and great reports !

Welcome aboard!

This time of year on <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> can produce some nice stripers.

Here is what I use: 12/0 Circle Hook Fish Finder. You can make your own with a little practice. 17lb test mono tied to 50lb shock leader.

I only go up to 20lb test during Red Drum Season (September / October).

clear.gif

When fishing for larger fish like stripers or drum, use a 8/0 circle hook. When fishing for smaller fish, that is when you want to use a T&B rig with smaller hooks.

The size of the rods you have are fine. IMO, 15# test is too small for larger fish and the 25# test is too much. The shocker is fine, but I would recommend using a 17# test line or 20# test.

Best of luck, my friend. if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.:icon_thumleft:

Thanks for the help guys !

So, finaddict, you don't use a high low rig for stripers?

Do a search for a fish finder rig on this site and you can see how easy it is to make your own.

Basics-- tie a short piece (3 or 4 inches) of 80 or 100lb mono fishing line to a big circle hook, 8/0 gami circle would be a good choice to start with. Tie the other end of the line onto a barrel swivel and you have the guts of a fish finder rig. Its that easy!

Now hook a sinker onto a fishfinder slide you can buy at the local tackle shops. Slide the fishfinder slide on the running line to your reel and tie your running line to the barrel swivel.

Now, be advised you should use a 50lb shock leader long enough that its wrapped a couple times around your spool when casting and the fishfinder slide should be sliding on this shock leader. You can use a albright knot to tie the shock leader line to the running line on your spool.

you are now pretty much set to catch anything that is going to bite your hook this time of year. Just remember what I gave you above is the basic setup, you can improve upon it in a couple of ways but it becomes more and more complicated as you use fancy knots, add beads and etc.

Thanks for the help guys !

So, finaddict, you don't use a high low rig for stripers?

Some do and some don't. My theory is, the weakest link in your line, is a knot. I try to limit the knots or crimps in my rig. Having said that, I will use a T&B for the smaller stripers and puppy drum.

When the cows move up the coast, IMO, the least amount of knots in your line the better. Some of the cows are in the 40-50 lb range and you are already using a 17-20# test.

I am sure you will get many responses to your post and differing opinions. There are many great anglers on this board and not everyone has the same train of thought at times. I am still learning as well.:eusa_dance:

Sam, that is wierd you and I posted the same time with the same response. Great minds think alike, I guess:icon_pidu:

Sam, that is weird you and I posted the same time with the same response. Great minds think alike, I guess:icon_pidu:

:icon_thumright:

I like using the larger Mustad demon circle hooks. You can open the gap a bit so it's easier to get the thicker baits on right.

They are inexpensive, rust pretty fast if the fish breaks off or I snap one casting, have a big barb so the fish has a harder time shaking loose and the skates and doggies have a harder time swallowing it.

They are very dull out of the pack, so get a good sharpener.

Thanks for all the help, I got some 100# leader lines shipped to me yesterday, it is 1mm diameter and I cannot for the life of me tie a trilene knot with it.....what diameter do most of you use.....Should be down there at AI on Friday and fishing and camping throughout the weekend.....thanks again.

I use 80 but 100 is good too. I now crimp mine at the swivel and snell at the hook. I had the same problem with the thicker line tying knots on the swivel. I could do it, but I prefer to crimp and now do it on all my rigs. For me, it just looks cleaner.

I use 100 mono and tie if I pre make the rigs, if I make a rig on the beach I crimp just for quickness and comfort of knowing the crimp will hold, if I tie it I also pull test which is hard to do on the beach. just my two cents.

For 100 mono and higher, I crimp.

All braid, including 100, I tie.

If you tie, don't forget to wet the line before you tighten it, helps it slide better.