5 posts in this topic

Well after two months in the barn getting everything ready I launched my new Maycraft 20' CC for the first time. I hit IRB and cruised around for the first hour of the breakin period.

There were about 8 boats working one of the favorite early season spots so we took a few drifts. I jigged up two short flounder to 18". Things slowed up so I decided to do the second hour breakin. We cruised just on plane back to the power plant and back and around the inlet area a few times. The boat handled great and the Yamaha 150 4 stroke started right up the first time and ran flawlessly.

We headed back to the same spot for a few more drifts. My buddy just couldn't get the hang of jigging and kept missing them. I got one keeper at 21" right before we headed back in. I'll post a picture of him tmrw. when I clean him.

Like clockwork, the flounder always show up and start biting by the end of the third week of March. Working the jig too much seems to discourage the hits in the cold water. 44^ at high, 48^ at low. The keeper fish slammed the 3/4 oz jig and 5" body so hard he swallowed the entire thing. There was nothing visible when I pulled him in the boat. I literally pulled him in the boat because I had forgotten my net:icon_pale:

I saw quite a few other boats catching fish also. Unfortunately, some appeared to be way undersized. :confused: I called the game warden to report what I saw today and gave him details, and he assured me that they were stepping up early season enforcement. I guess some unscrupulous people have not heard of cell phones. I'll take a boat's number and report it in a heartbeat if I see a violation. One clown even told me at the boat ramp that he was killing every single flounder he caught this year because of the "stupid laws".

I wrote his number down too and called him in:booty:

I also got a free vessel safety inspection today at the ramp. You can call the coast guard auxillary and they will even come to your house to inspect your boat. I get the sticker every year, and believe me it saves you time on the water because you almost never get rechecked once the Marine Police or EPO see your sticker.

Congrads on your new boat and keeper flounder. I personally try to leave the

enforcement to the enforcers, I would not want someone writing me a ticket

thru second hand knowledge. To each his own. Good luck on the new ride.

I personally try to leave the

enforcement to the enforcers, I would not want someone writing me a ticket

thru second hand knowledge. To each his own. Good luck on the new ride.

Nobody can write a ticket on second hand knowledge. All I am doing is calling the warden when I see infractions. If you see a violation and don't report it you are part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

I would be on the phone or radio half the day if that was the case. I am trying to

enjoy myself when I am out there and I try to do every thing right. I just have no

desire to play game warden when I am out there. Not trying to start anything. Good

luck.

Thanks Brian,

I'm not trying to start an argument either. I agree with you, 'to each his own', although the more people who are actively looking to protect our resouces the better. I never confront the violators, nor do I let them know I am on the phone. Flounder fishing is my ultimate relaxation/recreation. My only desire is to protect the resource. I want law abiding recreational fishermen to be able to catch flounder forever.

There are only about three things where I have ever stuck my nose into somebody else's business (by calling the authorities)

1) If I see someone beating a child

2) If I see someone abusing the elderly or mentally handicapped,

3) If I see someone violating a game or fishing law

None of these three situations involve someone or something that can stand up for itself in most cases.

Anyways, Here's the fish and the jig I caught him on. No matter what kind of fish you target, it's always more satisfying to catch them on your own lures and rigs. When I cleaned him this morning, the jig was completely inside the flounder's stomach. I have never seen that before.

flatty3-27.jpg.58a4152c7a7613dcaf86d94fd

flattyjig3-27.jpg.9fdd24e5181c433e2b45c5