8 posts in this topic

So what can you tell me Steve? Is it basically charkin like up here or do I need some new tricks?

I planned on live lining some bait from the yak hoping to rustle me up a 5 footer but we also have some good tides in the evening when we are there for yakking out and dropping some big stuff. Any thoughts?

Man, that sounds fun. I am very curious to see how you get one from the yak. They are some strong fish, so be careful.

Anywhere along East Ashley Ave would be ok.

If you work the south end at the county park, I would recommend where the intracoastal opens up, to the NE side of the barriers, watch the current and water color. The more blue, the better. This area might be busier due to it's proximity to the ICW, water generally not as clean. You may have to hike a bit from the parking lot too.

If you are going to the north end (preferred) then work the area around Lighthouse Inlet, some deeper waters there.

This is especially a good area because of the swifter currents that wash bait out and about. But ya gotta' watch that the currents don't sweep you away, stay just to the leeward side and toss into the faster, blue water. The water can really whip around that point. You might even want to scout out the water in between the bars/islands depending on depth. You should be able to find parking near the top end before the road cuts back in.

As for bait, liveline whatever you can legally catch. Cut the bait just behind the anal opening to get it to bleed, put it on a big hook, enough weight to hold bottom and enjoy.

Before you commit, scout it all out, south end first, then north. Find the best described water then go for it.

Yeah, I'm on charleston fishing but they are of little help to the yankees, some will help via email but no "on purpose sharkers"

I'm also secretly hoping for a cuda, don't know how I'll land it though...need a gaff.

As far as sharking from the yak:

We will have 2-3 yak groups and when one of us hooks up the idea is to fight the fish as a group so 2 guys can navigate/put on the breaks and the one hooked up fights the feesh. If we don't have luck with the dream scenario it will be hook up and with a lose drag get to the sand for the fight...either way good times! There was an article about some guys om myrtle doing the same thing, really how I got into the whole yak thing to begin with. Anything over 5 ft is big trouble so we'll be careful about matching the bait to the feesh size.

Yes, I'm nuts...we'll video when we can.

Ohhhh, ok, you want the small stuff.......

Well, the same recommendations apply as I wrote above except scale down (no pun) the size bait and hook.

On AI we use up to a 16/0 hook and a couple/few pounds of meat on the hook. Sam had a entire Dolphin minus the side meat on a hook. We also use whole Tuna heads.

We plan to scale UP this year for the elusive Tiger Chark, want a 10 footer.

SC:

Cuda are everywhere, albeit on the smaller side. Personally I wouldn't eat them, possibly infected with reef disease.

To release them, keep their tail deep in the water (they slap ya hard if ya don't) and use loooooong pliers to grab the hook as you hold it's "neck".

You can also toss poppers for top water Reds and Blues. As for a smaller Chark while on a yak, shouldn't be a problem. Use circle hooks so you can more easily get the hook out.

Wear a PFD and carry cutters big enough to cut the wire leader in case you, um, ahhh, hook yourself....

When I say "carry" I mean WITH you on the yak.

Should be lots of fun for ya, get ya primed for AI Charks this summer with us.

As for other boards, yeah, they sometimes are hesitant about steering "outsiders" in the right direction. But ya might get someone to PM ya there. Yep, they tend to frown upon ppl targeting Charks, not "real" fishing as they see it. Each to their own and good wishes to them, I just like to fish for whatever wants to bite.

Don't get me wrong we'll do some "conventional sharkin" with the boat rods and heavy line yakked baits etc. I'm not ready for an 8 footer on a kayak out in the ocean yet...maybe by the end of the week or after I see how a 100# chark pulls the yak and how easy/hard/safe it is to do.

Thanks for the help and I may hit you up again as the time draws near and I get some more information on what is going on down there.

A hacked up cuda has to be great shark bait, right?

Rules of thumb:

The more oil, the better.

The more it smells, the better it is.

The more it bleeds and thrashes, the better.

That pretty much applies to any game fish you seek.

Hacked-up Cuda will do fine.