9 posts in this topic

What temp do you all look for before going after Charky?

I'm getting nervous for my SC trip, temps there are @ 70 and should be 74-75 by the time I get there but I haven't seen any reports of the toothys being caught. No one there fishes for them though. They are all after the trout and whiting, I figure if the whiting are in so are the toothys.

I really want a chark from the yak, they have tarpon too, how cool would that be?

I've caught chark from Seabrook Island this time of year.

Charkin from the beach isn't popular there but a few do it.

The mouth of the Edisto River has a barrier island in the middle, good fishin' on it.

Of course, around Charleston, everything is there.

More specifics can be given, where, bait, etc, in the SC section of this forum.

ok, we'll be staying on the beach at folly so you and I can take this up on the SC forum if you don't mind lending a hand.

Water temps for the larger sharks on AI is usually around 75. Very active then. :-)

Thanks, I hope to hit the magic number then.

South Carolina is exactly why I created my website. When we went down there in October I couldn't find anyone with information on fishing reports. The guys down there are pretty tight lipped I guess. You won't hear much about shark fishing because the most popular area (Myrtle Beach) It is illegal to fish for sharks. Apparently a pretty hefty fine and the policeman will take you in. What a shame, because you can fish any pier there and watch nice big 5-6' Atlantic Sharpnoses swimming around. I was down there two years ago in may and there they were swimming under the pier, and that is all we would catch fishing cutbait on the pier at night. The rule of thumb on the pier is "if you can handline it up to the pier, then you're safe from worrying about a ticket" I don't know how far out you want to yak, but we went out of Murrels inlet to 3 mile reef (about 3 miles out) and hooked into tons and tons of Sharks ranging from 2' to about 6'. So anyhow....long story short, they should be out there, you shouldn't have a hard time finding them, I never have...Good luck

They have been catching a few sand tigers down in Hatteras when fishing for drum. the water has been 58-63 degrees or so.