6 posts in this topic

That is exactly what the ppl that want it closed are likely to do. There is nothing stopping them from getting out there and doing it so the expansion is increased.

Makes me wonder if NPS ever thought of that.....

My question is why don't we have the ornithologists collect the eggs, incubate them, so the hatchlings don't get killed by fox, raccoons, wash overs. Get the birds off the endangered species list and move on. Or is the use of the endangered species just a ruse to keep people off the beach? I would think the politicians of North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia would love to "fix" this problem, give colleges a grant, or poultry producers a shot at a tax credit to grow as many of these birds as possible. The next thing would be the turtles, or the sand fleas... or whatever??? I have written my congressman, and written a note to the new Park Superintendent at Assateague.

Well no surprise here. Without a doubt it was people who want the closures to expand.

If the plovers are so "endangered," why are they all over the dang place!

If the plovers are so "endangered," why are they all over the dang place!

Good point...

I have never seen a piping plover, at least I don't think so...I have seen the little birds running with the water line eating stuff out of the sand but I do not believe they are piping plovers...I like sandcasters idea. IMO, these closures are ridiculous