9 posts in this topic

As usual, I am always a day late and a dollar short, but here goes...

Well, made it out on Saturday. Sorry to be late with the report. Had to do it from here at work since home puter is a PITA.

• Water temp: 43° to about 45° - higher surface temps were found over deeper water

• Air temp: low 40s

• Started out mostly sunny and then had high thin clouds roll in

• Wind: light

• Seas: calm - very calm

• water clairty- very good

Fished just south of Matepeake. For those that don't know, the park fee went up to $10 this year.

Finally got the lines set and went on the hunt. Did not really mark any fish in water under 40'. No large schools (balls) of baitfish were marked. Most marks were in deeper water fairly close to the bottom with an occassional mark at mid-depth. Trolled North/South and South/north along Eastern edge of shipping channel.

Hooked up after about an hour and a half in 40 to 60 FOW while in a southbound direction. Six rods out and fish hit the furthest, deepest rod. Fish hit the smallest (4oz on top) lure of that double white jig rig.

All in all it was a great day to be out. Very little boat traffic made trying out the new planner boards very easy. Thanks to my b-in-law for a great day on the water. It went just a hair over 33"

20091strock.jpg.ef3f0693259796f274a1a896

Great job and thanks for the info! Water temps evidently have something to do with it?

I know, I know it was a boat fish and doesn't count :happy8:

We had thought the water temps may have been what was keeping the fish in the deeper water.

Confused at first, but the more we thought about it the more sense it made. To us any way...that the warmer water was being pulled off of and out of the shallows by the tide and being pulled towards the channels/deeper water. Wondered if when the light cloud cover moved in if it didn't cut down on the solar radiation on the shallows and they were more affected by the air temps vs. sunlight.

We figured the fish were still following the main channel as they had from further south until they hit the area(s) they want to spawn in. Would have been nice to know what the actual temps were at the depths we were fishing in.

Of course it counts! LOL!

Boat and beach critters taste the same... :D

Man, I'm thinking about towing the mako with me to work up here in lanham! I was crossing the bridge (eastbound) on the way home yesterday and saw a flock of bidrs swirling and dive bombing a school of fish just south of the bridge on the east side of the channel. Thought i was going to wreck the car! GET OUT THERE YOU UPPER BAY GUYS AND PUT SOME TIME IN IT LOOKS GOOD!:cool:

Randy, not sure about SPSP, but the fee to park at Matapeake went to $10. About flipped when we saw the sign. Said it was due to budget cuts.

captcl, I am hoping we get out again for the circus starts. Heard rumor that a few were being caught at SPSP on bloods. So based on what you saw, and other reports I have read and heard, it looks like it is time :happy7:

That was a beautifull scene the other day. The kind you dream about and rarely see but hope to see when underway! Good luck.