14 posts in this topic

It's that time again!

St. Patricks day usually kicks off some early action the flats. Stripers are being C&R'ed below the bay bridge which indicates they'll be in the upper bay any day now. Might be a good time to hit the beach for some Hudson and DE bay spawners traveling by.

This year I hope to get some video of the spawn in action, it is really a sight to see and only lasts a day or two in each river. Then they hit the flats hard with the feedbag on and ride a couple tides straight out of the bay.

As the moon lands this year I'd look for spawning to happen around may 9th in the upper bay and on the new moon before that in the lower tribs around Apr 25th or so, the early arrivers to the flats will also spawn on this moon. Should put the biggest girls by AI around the "normal" time the first week or so of May and follow up stripers for the next 3 weeks. I still believe these first bigguns are VA fish that avoid the MD slaughter year after year, there are fewer of them but they are generally bigger fish.

I'll keep ya'll posted!

Good info, Ben. Thanks!

Where is a good general location to try some shore based casting for a hog in the flats area ? Any water suitable for paddling about with a canoe in the flats area ? Never fished the flats but I want to give it a try this year. What kind of set up ? Bottom ? Bloodworms ?

I'll be out throwing rattletraps at greenway flats on monday morning....I'll post how we did when I get home.

Fished the potomac river near Chain bridge throwing 7inch joined magnum long A Red head and sliver body pulling in some 38'' to 43'' gals stuffed with herring. high tide seems to be the magic time. I'll add some pictures later:)

Hey Ben, What is your opinion of fishing around Annapolis Easter weekend?

Hey Ben, What is your opinion of fishing around Annapolis Easter weekend?

If you don't mind crowds Sandy Point should be pretty good about that time.

Where is a good general location to try some shore based casting for a hog in the flats area ? Any water suitable for paddling about with a canoe in the flats area ? Never fished the flats but I want to give it a try this year. What kind of set up ? Bottom ? Bloodworms ?

turkey pt on the eastern shore side and lapidum ramp on the susky, you can cast farther then the boats fish off there. Havre de Grace has an area as well.

great C&R action continues in the mid bay as large numbers of fish journey to the flats to stage. Heard of a couple over 50" so far but most have been tight lipped. I think a lot of lessons have been learned over the past couple years. These days the only pictures you see are from guides.

Hope to splash my restored whaler this weekend and take a day off on Monday to scope it out for myself.

got out and caught some flats stripers but nothing photo worth and managed some quality catfish on bait. Fish continue to pour in to the upper bay. With a little luck they'll time it right and be on the flats in the protected areas when the trolling season kicks off.

Great day too, went from bare chest to 3 layers in about a span of 15 minutes though once the clouds showed up and the wind kicked in.

The spawn is on heavy in the northern bay meaning many of the southern tributary fish are on the feed and then on the move and will be hitting the beaches shortly. There is a pocket of warmer water moving up the coast that is stalled around AI VA and should ease the Striper push up the coast. If I were about to I'd put a ton of hours in this weekend looking for VA spawners and other southern bay fish. They can run out of the bay in a day riding the tides, should be good fishing into the holiday weekend.

The spawn is on heavy in the northern bay meaning many of the southern tributary fish are on the feed and then on the move and will be hitting the beaches shortly. There is a pocket of warmer water moving up the coast that is stalled around <ACRONYM title="Assateague Island">AI</ACRONYM> <ACRONYM title=Virginia>VA</ACRONYM> and should ease the Striper push up the coast. If I were about to I'd put a ton of hours in this weekend looking for <ACRONYM title=Virginia>VA</ACRONYM> spawners and other southern bay fish. They can run out of the bay in a day riding the tides, should be good fishing into the holiday weekend.

Ben..

I'd say you nailed this on the head as a little birdie told me he saw 3-4 massive schools of fish moving out of the bay up by the Eastern Shore today. Thought from a distance they may be big uglies, but turned out to be stripers.

Tossed lures at them and they wanted nothing to do with them as I am sure they were tired from the spawn. Even pulled the boat along side of them and they were all 25 pound+ stripers going with the tide and probably making a left to head North!

Get ready boys/girls time to have some fun...

yeah, that's why bunker heads and chunks work so well at AI, those big slobs are looking for an easy pickup.

This first push of VA strain fish are usually the biggest.