20 posts in this topic

ok, with the nps talking about switching to non lead fishing tackle and ammo

are there any non lead sinkers on the market?

do you think this will happen?

i was imagining fro surf you could use steel, would be a bit larger but sould still work

i was imagining fro surf you could use steel, would be a bit larger but sould still work

Remember as the size of the sinker gets larger you will also need more weight to hold.

Example,

an 8 oz lead sinker might hold fine but a steel 8 oz sinker won't hold because of its increased size, so you would need to step up to a 10 oz steel sinker when you used to be able to get away with 8 oz.

hhmmmm true, maybe new shapes that hold better, as steel sould let you do things lead wouldnt.

an 8oz frog tongue should hold like a 6oz pyramid lead, at least in my experince, as ft's seem to hold better the other shapes

hhmmmm true, maybe new shapes that hold better, as steel sould let you do things lead wouldnt.

an 8oz frog tongue should hold like a 6oz pyramid lead, at least in my experince, as ft's seem to hold better the other shapes

about the only thing I use in the surf are frog tongues.

For piers and such I use hurricane/storm sinkers.

about the only thing I use in the surf are frog tongues.

For piers and such I use hurricane/storm sinkers.

Same here with the frog tongues, can't think what tungsten would cost.

I really can understand the concern about lead weights.

But there are other things that should be addressed first.

Like identifying an affordable replacement.

Can you imagine the strife that would occur if 80% of folks stopped fishing?

The effect that would have on local motels, tackle shops, restaurants, and not to mention the lack of revenue from fishing licenses.

Wow fish is getting more expensive each year but if we have to use tungsten sinkers that could cause a extreme decline in the number of fisherman. Because it hikes prices and you must replace all of your lures and sinkers which could break some peoples wallets. I hope if they make this law we must use something close to the price of lead and that it doesn't affect fishing heavily. I guess all we can hope for is someone who will think this situation through and not create a downfall in the number of anglers and fishing itself.

If it does happen, I hope they don't name a date and say "no more". Let everyone use what they have until they run out. Then they would have to obtain the new "stuff" from a retailer (or make their own) without lead AFTER an economical/comparable performance alternative solution is found..

I agree if they do it they could like stop selling lead products but let you continue to use them until your source diminished. Or I believe they set a date just like a year ahead and require the notice be posted in tackle shops and any other stores selling fishing products. That way most people could be informed of the change. If this occurs I hope we have a while before it becomes a law and that they handle it to the best of their abilities to keep the sport thriving.

You guys are getting close to the old addage,"what weighs more? a ton of lead or a ton of feahters?" LOL:icon_wink::icon_wink::icon_wink: Surface area is one considerstion when you choise the style /shape of the sinker.How biodegradable is the steel you are using? What is the actual makeup of iron,nickel etc.? If all else failed would'nt a peice of half inch or three-quater inch rigid pipe work and if it settled the right way it would hold forever. I've known guys to clean up and use old spark plugs in snaggy areas rahter than loose the lead. Just my $.02.

What is the possibility of using pewter , it weighs close to what lead does and shouldn't be as expensive as tungsten.

might go in baby steps

encapsulated lead - probably double the price

Other materials - 4x+ the price

Hopefully it won't happen, we've got much bigger fish to fry.

I say ticket me for using lead....its gotta be cheaper than casting off a tungsten 8oz

I say ticket me for using lead....its gotta be cheaper than casting off a tungsten 8oz

Civil Disobedience --- I love it!!!!

Of course it doesn't weigh near lead, but concrete would work. I use it for large yakked-out baits.

Add this to the discussion here, if the Regulatory agencies move to go to non-lead sinkers how about the lead heads for jigs and lures? we will be talking about this for a while.:eek:

Any type of sinking lure, jig, etc.

Lead period...

At least that in MY understanding.

You guys are getting close to the old addage,"what weighs more? a ton of lead or a ton of feahters?"

I saw your post on saltwater experience about this, interesting.....

But 3/4" steel pipe isn't very aerodynamic.

Your right Steve but how areodynamic is a mullet(even properly rigged) or a slab of bunker? You could do a little

"shop work" on the conduit peices and install a split ring to accomodate a swivel or a hole crimp your sinker line through and crimp a loop on the other end at varying lenghts. HELL, I'll make some up and field test them then get back to you!Should be good to go by the weekend!:icon_thumright:

Just cut some conduit peices,i have got to lay my hands on a scale for weight comparisons but while in the welding lab i had another steel idea. 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" plate cut to a more areodynamic shape. I have the shop here at work to try and fab these up, it will take some time but I'm on it!:coffee::coffee2::coffee::icon_scratch: