6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

First I would like to say that I am not new to fishing but am new to catfishing. Was wondering if anyone here is an experianced catfisher and would be willing to take the time to help with some technics. Any help would be greatly apperciated. I am starting this venture for big cats on several large lakes using a boat. thanks Max

There are a few guys out here that do that sort of thing - perhaps they'll chime in soon.

My only catfish experience is from shore with smaller (5-10 lb max) fish in Rivers. For that i have used chicken livers on rigs that are basically scaled down fishfinder rigs (run the line through some sort of sliding sinker - like an egg sinker ) then a swivel - then a circle hook. On that circle hook, put a rancid chicken liver. If they aren't staying on the hook, use nylons to keep them together.

For bigger fish, i've heard of people using either cut fish chunks or live bait - best to catch some panfish in the lake you are fishing and use them.

Ok - that's my limited knowdlege - time for the experts to chime in....RACN where are you? :)

Welcome to the board Max! Nice to have ya here!

Take a look at the Virginia forum, Racn catches huge cats and posts how he does it.

He doesn't normally look in other state's forums.

i usually catch a medium sized bluegill, cut the head off, and let it soak. if your line starts moving slowly, you got a snapper.

like, trowpa I use the same rig but catch them in tidal rivers on a dead tide mostly on a low tide. In my area cats are normally 2-3 lbs.