77 posts in this topic

:D Well things are now starting to get really active,,,there are plenty of reports of snapper blues in the surf and the striper migration is underway and will start making a showing in the surf,,,there are even reports of some black drum in the surf,,,if we just can get rid of this wind that has been blowing the last few days.

Get your feet in the sand, go fish and have fun :D .

Braved the wind up on the bridge for a few hours this weekend... caught 1 short (27"), but my buddy picked up a nice keeper just shy of 39"... Other than that, nothing. Presentation was tough with the hard North Blow.

Nice fish. What were you using?

Sam, we fish primarily soft plastics from the bridge... my buddy zack got his on a 6" storm, and I think I got mine on a bass assassin with lead head. I wish I still lived in OC, and could fish more than just weekends. Things can be pretty hot up there this time of year, with the right conditions. I will attach a picture of zacks bass :)

zacks_nice_bridge_bass_207.jpg.2460887dc

Now that is one nice fat fish good job :up: . But do something with the red eyes :)

Fished last night into today with Steve, Sam, Matt (bunker) and sams dad came out later along with carrie and samantha,,, we managed many good size black drum all on clams,,,very strong fish,,,when I was getting ready to go, Sams dad was into a good one,,,great day on the beach and the black drum bite was still going when I left,,,great day!,,,also got a kingfish.

Great to hear such a positive report! Counting the days till my next trip..

Who picked the spot Scott or Sam and where was Sam casting? Terry & I were wondering how the night went and if Sam tried anything different.

Good job guys! Sounds like a lot of fun. I know some people really like to eat black drum. Did you guys keep any?

Sam picked the spot but it was inhabitated by a cool fox,,,this little guy was constantly running around getting our bunker scraps,,,at one point he got really close to Sam where he was sitting,,,with the fox roaming around, I was rebaiting and Sam decided to sneak around my truck and scare the crap out of me,,,needless to say I jumped :lol: ,,,there will be payback :D ,,,it was a really good time.

I didnt see any changes in Sams cast but he does get it out there pretty far with the sticks he has and the reels.

A few were kept,,,I heard that some drum have worms but the one I kept had no worms,,,the meat looks very firm and pink and going to cook it up tomorrow,,,any suggestions on how to prepare it?

If I like the fish, I am going out monday in the same area and try for another one,,,one thing is for sure, they are powerful fighters and a blast to catch :D

fox1_187.jpg.6edf0ee2c2e06bfcbc88111a743

fox_209.jpg.61d2ddabb8e18440a6c7285dcdb8

Good job guys, did ya keep any blacks? and how many kings did you catch? Sounds like you all had a good day sorry I could not make it out, had to work I know it would be a good day at the beach. :( since I had to work.

Ate my first Black Drum last year about 8 lbs and was a very different flavor. Has a brackish water oyster or shellfish flavor. Took me by surprise but the more I ate the more I liked it and I now rate it as one of my favorites. I just pan seared(sp) with a little olive oil garlic and lemon pepper with dash of seasoned salt. Were they on a further cast or right behind the waves? Never saw any worms either. Looks like we will be dodging rain this weekend but its all good.

Dave, I would say they were between the middle of the trough and the beach break and we were fishing in a pretty wide trough,,,lb per lb, I swear those things fight better than a striper,,,we had one that just had huge broad shoulders, had to been close to a 20lb'er or bigger and we really thought it was a large striper,,,it faught tooth and nail,,,what I found interesting is that when they initially get hooked, the rod wiggled a little,,,in fact I thought they were just doggies or skate playing with the bait, but once you start pulling them in, they put on the gas and then they really step on it when they are close to the shorebreak,,,they were a lot of fun :D .

as far as kings, only one but it was a very nice suprise,,,I thought for sure we would seeya since it was thursday.

Cant wait to get back out there monday and plan on bringing some clams with me :D , not sure how long this black drum will last,,,I really liked the way the beach looked after the storm,,,carved up very nicely and some nice shifts of sand,,,Dave, I am sure you will do great this weekend,,,good luck and GO GETEM :D !

heading out the 12th till the 19th, going to try my new yak. Hopefully hook up a black or two. I've seen the fox a few time. He had a buddy with him this last time i saw him... i think he was trying to zero in on my hamburgers i had on the pan..

He's not afraid.. :lol:

100_0419_169.jpg.94e3d051cd00815525e5ce4

David, I know how painful it can be to sit there and read all of this. When you get out there next, hopefully, the striper run will be in full swing.

I had a great night was Scott and the fox. He would walk right up to me and then back around our site. He was munchin on bunker scraps and disappeared when we got some more company.

It was nice to meet you, Bunker! You had a rough time with the skates. Heads work well with rockfish too and the skate has a harder time getting hooked. Hopefully, you can bring you Alex out soon and he'll show you how to catch fish! :-)

Scott made some most excellent omelets just after sunrise which kept me in the fishing (seriously) I was famished!

It was nice seeing and fishing with Steve again. Great dogs for lunch and thanks for the umbrella. I really needed some shade later on in the afternoon because I had forgotten my hat. :P I hope ya did better after I left, although you looked pretty sleepy. :mrgreen:

The black drum kept us alive. It is a good thing Scott brought the clams or we would have been skunked. I did manage two smooth dogfish, one of which fought like a big striper. It was around 30lbs and I had it hooked in it's side. :? I was pretty upset to see that dorsal fin, but what can I say, I love sharks.

It was a great time. Thanks for the company and I look forward to it again soon.

5_05_06_027_1_712.jpg.278777071a5b9449ea

5_05_06_021_1_105.jpg.c84224c39380414239

Ditto on the breakfast Coop! Nice omelets on warm bread, mmmmm!

Lunch, I grilled up burgers n hot dogs. Of course one of each wound up in the sand but I ate those. Hey, they call 'em sandwiches don't they? Coop, sorry ya had to leave so early, well, relatively...

Sam, Samantha is getting so big and very cute! Good job ya'll!

After Sam & Pop left I moved to the downwind side of my truck with the umbrella to help block the wind, it got worse and started blowing sand. Tossed for another hour or so with clams. Nada. All gone.... Left out as many others were doing. Wasn't as much sand blowing to the north but decided to leave anyway. Got sunburn on my neck and face.

As always, great to see the crew and nice to meet ya Matt (Bunker)!

Stopped by and saw Terry and Bev, picked up one Taco rod.

No problems with the long drive, didn't see any green worms on the way home but there was a cow trotting past.

It was good to fish with you again steve and nice meeting and fishing with matt :D ,,,I may have left that out of my first post but man I was so tired!,,,You'll love that "taco" rod :lol: .

That rod will make a big difference. :-)

What a great day for fishing probably the best yet. Skates out the yengyan but I got to see my first black drum caught on AI. Nice to mee you all Sam, Scott and Steve! good luck with that TACO rod Steve I bought two from thier this year TICA's though.Thanks for the omlete Scott they hit the spot a lot better than ham and cheese. Me and my wife will be down sometime Sat. night with clams of course. Going to try again. Fish on.

Maybe try some Herring too Matt.....

Stripers love it.

Great meetin' 'ya!

Started at first light at 5am on Friday morning. Pappy Al joined me and set up along side. Good structure. It wasn't long before Al landed a 42", his personal best!

As for me, fished hard, 5 rods, mostly heads, some chunks, none of the good stuff. It was absolutely a great day on the beach. Saw many of the regulars riding by. Good to chat with Dave the critter getter. I'm sure he will have a few stories by weekends end.

The day ended with my 4wd unit failing about 100 yards from the air station. I guess I could not have picked a better plave for a 4wd failure. My Burb has 212K miles. Time for some quick repairs. A gentleman from Pa gave me a short tow to the air stations. 2wd works just fine. Will need to get to the bottom of the needed repairs almost immediately. I will not be fit to be around with the best fishing now and a broke truck.

Gobow wants to go early Sunday morning. May hitch a ride.

Kutch

Ah, man. Sorry to hear that, Kutch.

:evil: AAAAAHHHHHHHHH OK now that is out of my system .... I can't stand reading all this. I'm glad that summer is coming for the business but there is nothing I like more then then just work and that is spending some time out on AI whether I'm catching or just fishing but to hear that there are Black's out, that just gets me up :evil: . never hooked into one but can't wait too, have heard that the taste of them is not the best but hey I'll eat anything with some seasoning on it. All I can say is when I get the next day off it's go 8) I'm doing some hard core beach time..

It's good to hear that you all are getting some nice fish and good pic, lets hope that is just the beginning. :)

Oh by the way I can't spend to much time from my computer there was 86 new post :v: got some reading to do....