16 posts in this topic

So yesterday my son and I were agonizing over which kayak to buy. He's 9 and wants to get into kayaking. I already have a preception acadia 12.5 and an old town otter. And now I need a tandem. We were looking at wilderness pamlico 13.5 taht fit all our needs and a wilderness tarpon 13. I just can't decide which boat to get!!!!! We want to paddle, fish, and throw in a few overnighters. We also have alittle sister that needs to go for a ride once in while (mom says she wants to try it as well). So basically, I need a recreational/fishing/boat-in camping boat. I don't have any experience with SOT's, so I'm looking for any advice. They are both priced about the same.

I would say Sit On Top would be the way to go. there are a few good tandem SOT yaks out there. the ocean kayak malibu II is the most popular. I really like the line of malibu kayaks and they have the Pro2 Tandem.

Those are both nice boats. They had the ocean at the store I was at. The wilderness pamlico had more accessories (seats, bungees, dry compartments) for the same money. Unfortunately you can't take them for a test run first. How wet are they? It came with scupper stoppers, but I wonder about waves in the bay washing over and freaking out my kid!

the malibus are probably the driest SOT's out there. when I go out I pretty much only ever get paddle drip on me and thats it. the wilderness systems SOT's are known to be wet. the ocean would be in the middle of the two. here is a picture of the malibu pro2 tandem with the accessories. you can add whichever seats and paddles you like.

5852a54421771_PRO2FDTopcropped.jpg.998f8

nice. you're starting to sway me towards a SOT. Have to look at them more closely.

its not that one style or brand is really any better than another, but they are different. each style and brand will have pros and cons that they offer. For fishing, SOTs are definately the way to go. you have a lot more storage area, rigging options, and they are easier to get back in if you fall out.

that's kind of the conclusion that I came to. just trying to decide if a sot will fork for an overnight trip. I've fished plenty in my perception and it's kind of a hassle, but it's nice having the rest of my gear out of the way. this might just have to come down to a coin toss!! thanks for all the advice

the tandems dont have a big hatch like the singles do. if you get a single you can put A LOT of stuff inside. between external and internal storage on most SOT's you can carry more than you need for camping.

the WS kayaks are VERY wet. As Matt said Malibu's and Cobra's are the driest highest riding yaks. Stable but not very fast so there is a trade off but with a tandem stability should be #1. They don't call them divorce boats for nothing...

Let your wife use the single seat yak, take your little one in the tandem.

Above all, do NOT get in a tandem with your wife. Believe me, someone will be accused of not steering or paddling right! LOL!!!!

I have 3 SOTs and highly recommend them for stability, load carrying, access to stuff, and remounting. I would think you have to be a gentle contortionist to get back in a sit-in when you can't touch the bottom. The SOT is like the side of a pool, just boost yourself back onto it.

The SOT makes a much more superior fishing/swim/dive platform period!

Just depends what you want to do with it.

Thanks for all the advice! (especially about not putting the wife in the tandem!) I tried that in a canoe once, but being the cool headed guy I am, i let her paddle us around in circles for a half hour and pretended that she was doing great. funny, that was the last time she went with me in the canoe!

here's the next question...which one is easier to launch into the surf? i'd love to get outjust past the breakers and see what's out there

The SOT is safer from the beach. A couple-few of us (LOL!!!) have had a little spill launching from the beach. Even in water over your head, you can easily flip the yak over and get back in. The Sit-In, haha, not so....

For getting through breakers instead of being thrown backwards, I recommend a yak with a pointed bow.

i've had my share of spills and of course never even had the presence of mind to try a roll...just saw an ocean malibu tandem for 549 at dicks sporting goods website. it's pretty much stripped down, but that look like it might be the way to go. picking out the accesories is half the fun anyway

thats part of the beauty in kayak fishing. you can outfit a kayak pretty much any way you want, with any accessories to fit your needs. they make all kinds of different accessories for kayaks such as rod holders, hatches, fish finder and GPS mounts, rudders, etc.

well, i took your advice and pulled the trigger today. got the ocean malibu 2 xl. it was on sale at a local outfitter. they are installing rod holders so i'll pick her up nexty week. thanks again for all the help guys!

no problem, thats what were all here for. always learning, always teaching. just like under the logo. congrats on the new yak. hope it serves you well.