6 posts in this topic

Since I was already going to be on the OBX for a fishing seminar on Saturday, I decided to stay the night and fish out of HI on Sunday. Once again, I caught a ride with Jim Bowman and his crew on Marlin Mania. We left Teach’s in heavy fog and ran south east. When we hit the break, the fog got really thick, like steam rising off the water. Water temperature went from 46 to 66 in a space of 200 yards. Mate put out the first bait and was handing the rod up to me on the bridge when it almost got ripped out of his hands. Missed that fish but quickly hooked another on the next bait that went out. While we were fighting that fish, another hit a bait dangling from the outrigger.

5852a543e13de_DSC_0107(Medium).JPG.a43a0

After that, it was on. Landed a 60 incher and had doubles on every pass. Released a half dozen and lost a few more before the anglers were beat. Jim ran us deeper to look for something bigger (he caught a half dozen yellowfin and raised a sail on Saturday) while the crew took a nap. But, as soon as he turned back towards the break, we got covered up again. Hooked 6 and released 5 at once. Talk about a circus. After that show was over, we pulled in the trolling gear and put out a single 130 with a whole menhaden and started chunking. Bluefin were all around the boat swirling on the baits, but they wouldn’t eat. We had a 100 to 200 pound fish darting under the boat and boiling on the surface. An awesome sight. Fog didn’t lift until we left the ‘Stream. Ran home with slick calm seas and tired arms.

5852a543eae60_DSC_0143(Medium).JPG.be885

Awesome pics! Good looking fish.

There they are!!!!!

Very nice! Congrats and thanks for the great report and pictures.