10 posts in this topic

What's up tight lines, just wondering if there is anyone out there who enjoys shark fishing? I've been big in it for a long time now. For the equipment that I use is a shimano Lrs lined with 50lb. suffix saltwater tangerine with a 6-7' shimano tallus roller guide rod. The other is a penn senator between 9/0-14/0 reel lined with 80-100lb. saltwater tangerine. We make all of our leaders. We use 15' of 300-500lb. mono with a heavy duty 400-800lb. ball bearing snap swivel hooked to about 10' of 250-400lb. 7 strand plastic coated stainless steel leader with a 14/0-20/0 double x strength owner circle hook. As for bait, my favorite is spanish mackerel, skate, and tuna heads or skirts.:icon_thumright:

Quite a few of on here fish for the toothy critters.

But we do it with our kayaks!

At night too! :icon_thumright:

Most of us run the same rigs as you.

I use Penn 115s with 100# braid, 250# mono shock, 250-400# Malin steel leader down to a 20/0 circle hook.

The smaller rigs I have are Penn 6/0 with Ande 50# running line for the close-in stuff (terminal tackle the same as above)..

I just bought 2 shimano TI-130A holds 1000 yards of 130lb. test I normally use TI-30LRSA. Some people say for shark fishing yhe TI-130A is overkill but I got a really good deal on bouth reels. They normally run 1,250 dollars I got them for 350 each brandnew at tackle shop auction. All I know is when I yak bait out 500 yards I will feel very comfortable.:happy9:

That is my favorite type of fishing...hanging out with friends, yaking baits out at night, warm water and warm weather. For me, it just doesn't get much better than that.

That is my favorite type of fishing...hanging out with friends, yaking baits out at night, warm water and warm weather. For me, it just doesn't get much better than that.

Same here.. There is just something about it... :icon_thumleft:

I love to shark fish; we do a lot of light tackle and fly fishing here in the Carolinas. Most of the sharks run in the 30 to 200 pound class, but its all sight casting in very clear water. The sharks come right up to the boat and we are only 1/2 to 1 mile off the beach. A "reel" blast on light tackle and for kids!

DSCN0556e.jpg.9e8471de4ec94f0ff588a12853

Heding out this weekend we were going on the boat but change of plans I think we are going to head down to sand bridge VA beach. I am very anxious to start sharking. I'm shore the water is very cold for yaking bait but it has to be done.:icon_pirat:

Its a great time for me. Nothing like feeling the raw power of those beasts of nature. Those big reels can help em recover faster on a release too. They tend to have more strength left from the fight, when brought in faster. If a healthy release is a part of your game.

Very firm believer in catch and release. Once a year I might keep a leagel black tip. Preping rods and reels it's driving me crazy. GET WORM READY TO GO!:3gears: