30 posts in this topic

Well, we are getting closer to fishing time. Hopefully we will see some nice catches as we get towards the end of the month. Feel free to post your reports here...fish or no fish. Go FISH!

Fished today with pop...nothing, turned out to be a nice after noon. Heading out, a 30' + whale was washing up on the beach. It looked like it just recently died. Coming back it was beached. If I ever can figure out how to download pics from my camera phone, I'll post some pics.

<!-- / message -->

Fished today with pop...nothing, turned out to be a nice after noon. Heading out, a 30' + whale was washing up on the beach. It looked like it just recently died. Coming back it was beached. If I ever can figure out how to download pics from my camera phone, I'll post some pics.

<!-- / message -->

WOW that is going to stink!!!!!!

Yea Jim, we were saying the same thing. The whale was very large. I have seen a couple washed up on the beach, but this one is the biggest I have ever seen.

Can't download pics from my phone, but my parents drove down to see the whale and they took a few photos. It's been pulled up on the beach and pretty much fully dissected out. It was a female humpback and actually has been dead for a while, tho it looked fresh yesterday.

whale.JPG.c48c352425f85d6d0b02bfd3e3844e

Fished today after work until dark...nothing but numb appendages.

Fished colonial beach yesterday and today. Yesterday caught 2 nice stripers and some white perch in the creeks.Today some big perch and one nice hit we did cast net a hole pile of menhaden. We are taking the boat to ST.Clemens Island tomorrow I am keeping my fingers crossed. Let you know how it goes.

ok so lets start things off with the verdict on what killed the whale, I talked to a ranger today while I was renewing my permit and she had told me they did found the whale's skull had a large fracture in it, she said it was probably due to a large ship propeller, now to the fishing report, started around 4ish and fished till 8, I was way down the south end with out a soul in site, wind was around 20mph from the nne and the rip was rough, barely held with 12's. Nothing touched my bait that was soaking but a friend of mine just happened to be standing near the surf when a few bunker washed up still alive. Even though I did not catch anything I can say it wont be long now, If there is bait in the water, the stripers will be hot on their tail. So get ready guys and gals I feel it is going to get hot pretty soon.:happy3:

I hit the local creek late this afternoon and had a great time catching and releasing shad. They were a lot of fun on light tackle!

Dave and I fished the lower end of Assateague Island this evening. Chilly wind from the south made it tough fishing, but it was nice to get out there. Tried clams and bunker with no takers.

Sam pretty much summed it up, good to get out and start another fishin season!

I have heard that there a bunker showing up in the back bays..

will be going out tomm to try for the first time will let you know how it all works

Anyone been out this weekend?

well gave it a try went the whole way to line tried serveral spots no bites had to use 10's for mono but 8's were holding for braid saw a seal on the beach near va line cant miss it has pink paint stripe on head guess its trying to make a fasion statement. There was a group of birds working about 300 yards out but wouldnt come closer :dontknow: . This is only first of many trips and beats working.

There was a group of birds working about 300 yards out but wouldnt come closer :dontknow:

hmm, wonder if there were any hudson or other non chessie stripers in te mix.

Anyone been out this weekend?

I got out in my new boat this weekend. Unfortunately it was just in the front yard to hook up some electronics.......the amazing thing is everything works!

Next weekend!

There were some buggies heading out Sat. morning when I was checking the surf. The ocean smelled fishy too. Went home and got my rods ready. Friday night fishing to begin this weekend. Pat

I made it ti the DMS beach grass planting this weekend. Saw no trucks, but there were ganets off the beach. None working the water, but it won't be long now.

Fished today with my dad...nice morning and afternoon...no fish

The fish are here, they have to be. I had to work in Dewey Beach today about 50 yards from the surf. I walked down to the surf to take a look a couple of times. I must have seen a hundred ganets flying and diving into the water. Not all at once, but there was alot of bird activity about 100 yards off the beach. I wish I had a rod with me.:crybaby2:

Finaddict, thanks for the report I'm waiting for the stripers to move up the beach

I'm thinking about testing my luck on the beach tomorrow. Should be a decent day after the rain, maybe a little windy. I'll hopefully post a pic of my first 09 rock tomorrow evening.

Went out last night and tonight, we fished the line and managed to land our first skates of the year. Its just good to start getting some pullage. May head out again tomorrow. Gl to everyone who heads out