7 posts in this topic

I need some help on this. Next time out I will be bringing some wood for a fire. :D

What is the proper way to do this? I don't want to give any of you 4wd'ers problems on the beach. I know you are supposed to make the fire below the high tide line, and I got some pointers on this at the striper fling from you guys. Do I dig a pit for the fire? Then do I just cover it up with sand on the way out? What about if I have some wood in the pit that is not burned, still just cover it up?

Thanks. :)

Phil, dig a shallow pit and put it out with water then bury it,,,this time of year there are many seriuos hikers and just people walking the beach at night,,,even with sand thrown on top, there still can be a tremendous amount of residual heat on the sand.

I remember the firts time building a fire on the beach and we dug a deep pit and couldnt get the fire underway,,,I guess not enough air was getting to the fire so we made a much shallower pit and she fired right up.

Man, I cant wait to get out there at night,,,nothing like AI at night with a reel screaming :D ,,,was going to to head out tonight and fish all night, but I think you would need a mack truck to hold bottom,,,gotta wait till wed night,,,may even make a smoldering fire for the night,,,I swear I think my wife thinks I am crazy,,,everytime before I go out, I feel like a kid on christams eve,,,I just cant wait :D , regardless of whether I am on my umpteenth skunked trip.

Scott, I'll bring wood on Wed night-Thurs morning.

I'll make ya a good rippin' fire!

Esox, my pit is maybe 4 inches deep.

I usually stack the wood in a 3-4' circle and about 3' tall.

I'll burn about a quarter cord in one night.

If there is any decent wood left, I water it down and place the leftovers by a permanent/semi-permanent obstruction so that others may use it. If not, water it, spread it and bury it.

3' tall,,,man thats like a 6'-7' flame,,,I'll just look for where the beach looks like its on fire to find ya :lol: .

Yeah, that's just a small one.

I only have about a cord left.

Wood sure does burn quick out there.... the more that you give, the more it will take.... 8)