12 posts in this topic

The 2009 VA Flounder Regs are as follows;

19" with a 5 fish limit and no closures!

Thanks Steve.

20 years from now it's going to be back down to 14 again.

19" is a nice flounder..... I don't see many people limiting out on a regular basis this year.

In Md it looks like we are going to have a long closed season right in the middle of summer. I bet those party/head boats and charters just love that new rule. That is really going to hurt their business.

19 is a good size for rod and reel, but commercial get the 12'ers which sucks for anglers! I think it should be vice versa!

I wonder how many of the throwbacks actually live?

Thank's,I will add 2" to that. I have been adding 2" to size limits,as a personal favor to future fisherman and woman.(YOUR KIDS)

Yeah,Early season(March)Icaught a couple 24" in wachapreague,and a few 19",but after that you are hard pressed to find any bigger flounder .It was freezing in the morning till the sun came out and warmed it up,now the pressure is on,You will be fishing with at least 50 boats at green and drawing channels daily.Anglers come from all over the U.S. to fish The flounder capitols,Chincoteague and wachapreague Va.

I think at least 30% will not survive the gut hook,unless you use a long set of tweezers and take your time.Flounder that swallow the bait have a high mortality rate in my opinion.Are circle hooks the answer?????

I have used Circle hooks on all specie of fish from the Mid-Atlantic to the FL Keys.

From small bait fish to Sharks, Reds, Tarpon.

Not one time has it been hooked anywhere except for the lip, 90% of time in the corner. I won't use anything but circle, no need to set the hook either.

20 years from now it's going to be back down to 14 again.

so im going to have to wait that long before i catch another keeper flounder?

:drunken_smilie:

i havn't caught a keeper flattie in almost three years, thats the whole reason i started tagging.....

Circle hooks are definitely my weapon of choice for flounder. I caught a 22 inch a few weeks ago on my first time out this season