9 posts in this topic

27 February 2009

Deep dropping action is still the hot topic for these chilly days. Nice black sea bass are making trips to offshore wrecks worth the long haul. If boats can find a wreck that has not been hit recently, plenty of big fish to over 5-pounds are available for the taking. Seabass are not generally picky eaters, so squid and most any type of cut bait is a good choice. Many anglers are finding that the biggest seabass are drawn to a variety of metal jigs. The Shimano Butterfly jig and the Braid Slammer series are top performers. Anglers are also discovering that the heavier varieties of these same metal jigs are working well for other deep water bottom dwellers. Captain Skip Feller aboard the Rudee Angler out of the Virginia Beach Fishing Center caught several citation blueline tilefish using these jigs in over 300 feet of water on a recent trip offshore. His crew also boated nice blackbelly rosefish and five golden tilefish to 43-pounds. Captain Mike Standing, skipper of the Waterman, cleaned up this week when he put his crew on a nice mess of big bluelines, black seabass, and six nice golden tilefish. The Jil Carrie, skippered by Captain Jim Brincefield out of Long Bay Pointe Marina also made it offshore to join in the deep dropping scene. His crew boated twelve grouper, with the largest weighing in at 56-pounds.

Tautog are still a preferred target for those looking for variety and a challenge. These hearty wreck dwellers are hitting on many offshore structures, with the vicinity near the Triangle wrecks a favorite area. Again, the trick is finding a structure not recently worked over. Blue crabs work well, but many are using alternative baits such as clams and mussels. Sean Doran of South Mills, NC and his crew aboard the Crystal Cleared had a decent toggin’ day on a local wreck, with Sean’s fish tipping the scales at 12.5-pounds.

Speckled trout and puppy drum are still available in the popular hot spots along the Elizabeth River in Chesapeake near the hot water discharge area. Puppy drum is a mainstay in these parts, with anglers finding pup action within both Rudee Inlet and the Elizabeth River. Rumor has it; one angler even released a 40-inch red drum near the Hot Ditch recently. Most speckled trout are hitting lures, with the proven Mirrolure still working well.

Striped bass are frustrating many boaters, but persistent anglers are coming across a few legal fish from Cape Henry down to False Cape ranging to around 32-inches. Within the Bay, plenty of school-sized fish along with fish up to about 20-pounds are hitting under working birds and around Bay structures for catch-and-release. Good rockfish action is coming from the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel on top water lures and live eels. Scattered reports of bigger rockfish coming from near the mouths of the rivers within the Bay are becoming more common. A few rumors of some catches of croaker from lower bay piers are also floating around.

The 2009 season flounder regulations are now finalized. There is no closed season; however there is another increase in the minimum size requirements. Anglers may keep up to five flatfish measuring 19-inches or greater, which is up from last year’s 18.5-inch minimum. This is an adjustment, but anglers are prepared to tighten their belts and comply.

blulinetile1.jpg.6d1678c57e7c6c88b954488

Welcome Dr. Julie!:icon_thumleft:

Saw you at the show today talking with Sam, I'll be back out there tomorrow helping out w/ VCAN and Atlantic Anglers!

Look forward to your reports on here as well!

Welcome to the site Julie.

Love the sound of your report and a great web site too.:icon_thumleft:

Thnx for stopping by Juba,good seeing you at lunch Monday......see you again TODAY for lunch for sure......I met Sam finally yesterday too !

Welcome aboard looking forward to more of reports .:brave:

Welcome aboard Julie!

Glad to have you here with us.

Your post is a very nice read, thank you for sharing it with us!

Looking forward to more informative and interesting reading...

Welcome Aboard Julie, Great report looking forward to many more. Thanks

Welcome Julie!!!!! You and I have PM'd back and forth a few times on another board about my daughters...Great report good to have you here.

Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome!

I'm glad you enjoyed my report, and hope they will encourage you to head for the water year-round.

Julie