10 posts in this topic

Planning a Cub Scout camping trip to Elk Neck SP in May. A lot of our boys like to fish. MY thoughts were soaking some bloodworms or squid. But since I've never fished there, I'm looking for some pointers. Is it more fresh water or salt water around there?

It's brackish to salt. With the cost of bloods nowadays, I would use squid.

The bloods may nip the youngsters too, don't want that happening.

You can go to any tackle shop in the region and buy Fishbites brand artificial Bloodworms. They will do the job fine. They are also sold at the major retailers like Bass Pro, Cabela's, Sports Atrocity, etc. Just use about a 1/4" - 1/2" piece on the hook. About $8 a pack and should last all day for about a half dozen boys. (hint: buy 2 and throw the remainder in your own box)

I use fishbites a lot, and with good results. I thought it'd be a 'learning' experience for the boys to see real blood worms!

I've fished farther down the bay, but never in this area. What fish are around? Figure there's rockfish, just not sure if any of the boys will get one. Do the bluefish and croakers make it up this far?

I've fished farther down the bay, but never in this area. What fish are around? Figure there's rockfish, just not sure if any of the boys will get one. Do the bluefish and croakers make it up this far?

In May, you will most likely not see any Croaker or Blues anywhere around Elk Neck. Plan on catching a bunch of Perch, Catfish, and perhaps the occasional Bass. Bloodworms are a good choice, but a good old nightcrawler is hard to beat, and it won't bite the kids if handled wrong. If I remember correctly the beach at the State Park is fairly shallow and flat (it's been probably 25 yrs since I was there w/ Boy Scouts) You might end up having to hike around a bit to find a "fishy" looking area. Check the MD DNR web page and look at the Upper Chesapeake Fishing Report, it will give you a decent idea of whats happening in the north end of the bay as May gets closer.

When in May? The early part is some of the best flats fishing of the season for big stripers. The are coming off the spawn and gorge themselves before heading out of the bay.

Bloods would be the hot ticket for bait fishing from shore, may break a few rods though! Decent cats available too for bait dunkers.

For a scouting trip, I would take some crab traps and chicken necks on strings to try as well.

There will be VERY few crabs that far up bay at that time unfortunately, they mostly emerge in late april and early may well south of there. Some years it takes until Sept/Oct for the crabbing to get decent.

There will be VERY few crabs that far up bay at that time unfortunately, they mostly emerge in late april and early may well south of there. Some years it takes until Sept/Oct for the crabbing to get decent.

But for cub scouts it doesn't hurt to try, even if they catch a few small crabs it will be a worthwhile experience.

We're headed down the 29-30 of May. Gonna take my son down a few weeks early to check it out though. Buying a tandem kayak with my tax refund, so maybe we'll get some nice stripers.

And having them try a little crabbing is a great idea! Is the fishing consistently good around thre? I usually head down to AI to fish but Elk Neck is way closer to home. Might save soem cash when gas goes back up to $4/gal this summer!