6 posts in this topic

I'll be on the beautiful beaches of Hilton Head island in the middle of march, every summer i rock the surf with live mullet and anything else i can catch in my trusty Cast net but i'm afraid Last year around March i didnt have any luck. From the surf, what bait should I use? I'm not after any special type of fish, or shark. I just don't want to be the embarassment of spring break, any ideas? I have axcess to North forest beach, South beach and some piers, whatever would be most plentyful...

:help:

Middle of march can be frustrating just about anywhere. The best advice I could give you is to find a local tackle shop and stop in and see what they are selling as bait and ask some questions to the person behind the counter.

Alright so I understand that I won't have the best luck Surf fishing but on the other hand i dug out a 100ft gill net that my father used back in the day, if I purchase the licenses will I have any luck with the net or is the surf just completely dead this time of year?

Alright so I understand that I won't have the best luck Surf fishing but on the other hand i dug out a 100ft gill net that my father used back in the day, if I purchase the licenses will I have any luck with the net or is the surf just completely dead this time of year?

To use that gill net you would most likely have to get a commercial fishing license. I would also wonder if the gill net would hold up if its so old. Remember what a gill net does, the fish swim into it head first and get stuck in the net. They then thrash around trying to free themselves from the entanglement. That could be a lot of force on the net. You also have to match the mesh size to the target species. Too small of an opening and the fish will bounce right off the net instead of getting stuck, too large and the fish just swims right on by.

Unless you helped your dad or someone set a gill net in the open ocean you will probably fail miserably using it. You just can't walk a 100 foot long net into the surf and except to deploy it. You would need to yak it out and stretch it as you gradually drop it off the side of the yak to keep it from balling up. Not to mention how dangerous it would be, one small slip-up and your entangled into that weighted net under the water.

From what I understand, a commercial license is only required for nets longer than 100ft and it is legal to gill net in specific areas, as for the net it's in good condition and I have the know how and tools necessary I just need to know if it will be worth the trouble, anything running this time of year?

From the SC DNR

(Anchor, Set, Stake & Drift Nets)

Permits/Licenses:

• Gill nets, haul seines (except shrimp seines

under 40 ft. or less), $10 for each 100 net ft. or

fraction thereof.

• Powerboats transporting nets or other

commercial

fishing equipment must have vessel

decals.

Seasons: No closed season in saltwater (except

shad, sturgeon and herring).

Restrictions:

• Red drum and spotted seatrout may not be taken

by nets. Sharks may not be taken by gill nets.

• Gill nets no longer than 100 feet with a 3-inch

minimum stretched mesh size may be used only

in unrestricted areas of the Atlantic Ocean.

Gill nets no longer than 100 yards with 3-inch

minimum stretched mesh size may be used only

in special designated inshore areas.

• Gill nets must be marked with one end buoy

that is international orange in color with the

name and address of owner. Operator must be

within 500 feet of the net and have visual contact

with the net at all times when deployed.

• Nets may not be set more than halfway across

any waterway at any time.

• Stationary or fixed nets, including gill nets,

may not be set or placed within 600 feet of a net previously set.

• Gill net users must be within 500 feet or hailing

distance of the net at all times.

• It is unlawful to use any seine or gill net in

any waters within a state park; except, small

hand seines and cast nets for t