21 posts in this topic

There has been alot of debate about braided line vs mono line. I know there are different applications depending on the fisherman and where they fish, but what do you prefer and why?

From the surf I will use braided line for just about everything from tossing lures to T&B rigs. The only time I will use mono in the surf is when I am using a conventional set up.

The reason why I use mono for a coventional set up is for two reasons.

One, as I have gotten older, I have learned to enjoy the fight of a fish that does not want to be landed and mono is easier on me as well as the fish.

Second, Mono is a lot easier to pick out with a "blow up" and mono is a lot less expsensive to replace with a "major blow up".:icon_wink:

From the jetties I will also use a braided line for sensitivity and no give on the fish. Piers are the same way.

I am wondering what everyone else thinks about on this issue:icon_scratch:

I stick to mono for bait soaking and braid for throwing plugs/lures and etc. For freshwater stuff I am becoming fond of fireline. I might try some of it for plugging this year.

I do also use braid as backing on my reels for added capacity.

Morty you pretty much lead me in the right direction last year with the convential side of surf fishing. With that said I share the same opinion and ways you do, however all of my freshwater conventials as well as both my tog set ups have braid. I see no reason in switching the 525's over to braid becuase of what you stated.

Chaser,

Freshwater and saltwater isn't the same IMO.:icon_tongue:

Glad I could help you last year, hope it helps this year. I'll be out there soon.

Chaser,

Freshwater and saltwater isn't the same IMO.:icon_tongue:

Glad I could help you last year, hope it helps this year. I'll be out there soon.

Your right its not. Freshwater I'm only throwing 1/4 to 3/4 oz 20 to 30 feet so the bird's nest ain't so bad. I got one with the 525 last year and it was when I was practicing for the first time. I'll cross my fingers again for this season. ;)

there is no simple answer to braid vs. mono. they both offer their own strengths and weaknesses. braid is sensetive, it has very little stretch. it last forever. it doesnt have as much drag in the water because it is thinner, less line drag sometimes means you can hold bottom with less weight. it casts farther and you can put more on your reel because it is thinner. it has almost no memory. now those same strengths can also be their weaknesses. it has very little stretch so you can pull a lot of hooks ar rip flesh really easily. because it has no stretch it is actually harder on you as an angler (you ever notice how much braid can whip your butt), line drag in the water and stretch can wear a fish down pretty quick. braid gets the worst knots. both on the same spool can give you the advantages of both. for example, if you put 200 yards of braid backing below your mono on a drum reel if you hook that big ole 90 lb. cobia you have a lot more line to deal with him with and I doubt he would spool you. if you just had 270 yards of straight mono a big cobia like that will probably just hurt your feelings real quick. braid and mono definately dont mix in a crowd and can cause some real problems if they get tangled. I like fishing one or the other depending on what I'm doing. if I am drum fishing, I use all mono. I dont even use a braid backing on my heaver reels because I dont like knots in the middle of a spool. if I am offshore bottom fishing I use braid for the no stretch and diameter factor. I can use less weight to hold bottom in 250-350 feet even if there is a current. if I am flounder fishing I use briad for the sensetivity. there are many things to consider.

To the gentleman that said he may want to use the fireline....I bought my first spool of fireline about 3 years ago. After a few months if found that it frayed terribly and had trouble holding knots. It got to where it wanted to slip on itself. Last weekend i pulled every bit of it off the last reel i have it on. I thought that the drag gear had gone out in the reel but once i took a closer look the entire amount of line was actually spinning around the spool before the drag would start to work. To say the least i wasnt real impressed. I did continue to buy it because of its strength. It can pull a large bass out of logs pretty fast and holds up to those troublsome blues that show up when I'm trout fishing, but i think im done with it.

To the gentleman that said he may want to use the fireline....I bought my first spool of fireline about 3 years ago. After a few months if found that it frayed terribly and had trouble holding knots. It got to where it wanted to slip on itself. Last weekend i pulled every bit of it off the last reel i have it on. I thought that the drag gear had gone out in the reel but once i took a closer look the entire amount of line was actually spinning around the spool before the drag would start to work. To say the least i wasnt real impressed. I did continue to buy it because of its strength. It can pull a large bass out of logs pretty fast and holds up to those troublsome blues that show up when I'm trout fishing' date=' but i think im done with it.[/quote']

I have not had either of those problems with the fireline I used. It actually seemed to get better with age (more limp and tighter knots). As for the line spinning around the spool, that is a common problem with all braid and fireline, you need to take some steps to prevent that from happening. You can either put a couple turns of mono on the spool first, or do what I do and wrap the spool in some electrical tape before you spool it.

Another trick i learned when using braid on a spinning reel is to manually close the bail yourself instead of just cranking the handle, while your bail is open manually put the line onto the roller and then flip the bail closed. After you do this a couple time it will become second nature and you won't even think about it anymore.

I never really got into using the braid line. I've always used mono and can't seem to get away from it. I've tried it out on my brothers reel once because he uses it and for some reason it felt like the casts weren't as smooth and i couldn't feel the action of the lure as much. I mostly fish off the route 50 bridge now for Rock and am debated weather or not to change my mono to braid because i see alot of anglers using braid. I also have a bigger reel than most of them so i don't think I neccesarily need to use braid because most of them are using it to put more line of a higher test on their reels. The one main reason i might switch over is if the braid gives you more of a feel for if a fish is striking. Could anyone tell me weather or not strikes are felt more on mono or braid.

its night and day between the feeling of mono and braid. You can feel every little bump when working your lure. As others said you don't want to do any hard hooksets with braid, a simple quick flick of the wrist is all you need to hook the fish. remember braid has almost zero stretch, so when you move your rod tip 2" the hook also moves 2" with mono you have to take up the slack and stretch of the mono line before you move that same 2".

The #1 advantage of braid is its sensitivity.

I never really got into using the braid line. I've always used mono and can't seem to get away from it. I've tried it out on my brothers reel once because he uses it and for some reason it felt like the casts weren't as smooth and i couldn't feel the action of the lure as much. I mostly fish off the route 50 bridge now for Rock and am debated weather or not to change my mono to braid because i see alot of anglers using braid. I also have a bigger reel than most of them so i don't think I neccesarily need to use braid because most of them are using it to put more line of a higher test on their reels. The one main reason i might switch over is if the braid gives you more of a feel for if a fish is striking. Could anyone tell me weather or not strikes are felt more on mono or braid.

After experimenting with all different kinds of braid from spiderwire about 10 years ago to power pro last year, I have yet to find a braid that hasn't been more work than it's worth. I can see the advantages of thinner diameter with more strength, but for me personally I have always gone back to mono, just for ease of use. I had trouble with the original spider wire holding knots, I had problems with the power pro spinning on the reel without drag being pulled, and yes I had mono backer on with the power pro. I do more freshwater/bay fishing than saltwater fishing so I do not if there is a difference with how well braid or mono hold up to the salt water. But I can say that I have yet to find a fishing situation that mono was unsuited for. I also replace my line a lot, probably more often that I need to, what can I say I like to know that my line is fresh and ready to go, and for the cost of swapping all my reels so often I will definetly choose mono. Braid will send you straight to the poor house. Basically it is going to boil down to using which ever of the two that you are comfortable with, as long as your out fishing, that's all that really matters.

One thing to keep an eye on while using any kind of braided lines, would be your guides and rollers. Some rods guides are not meant to be used with braided lines. This might be where fraying comes from. I use Fuji guides on my rods. Some rods use a cheaper guide and braided line will cut a groove in your guides (the top guide). These grooves are very small and is hard to see with the naked eye. A way to check for this is to rub a q-tip in your guides and if it catches strands of the q-tip, replace the guide.

On your spinning reels some companies use cheaper materials than others. Keep an eye on your "roller spool" that is on your bail. This is also a place where you will find grooves when using braided lines. If you find a groove, replace the roller.

I primarily use 17-30# mono on all my rods with one exception. I use 50# or 65# Power Pro on all my jigging reels. When I'm jigging (whether vertical or horizontally) I like not having any stretch in the line. It also transfers every bump up the line so I feel even the slightest hit as the line is sinking. Now with that said, all my jigging reels are conventional and the birds nests are a pain. But I can normally recover from one pretty quickly and get back to fishing....

I use power - pro on all my boat reels with a topshot of yo -zuri HD pink.

Spinners #30-#50 power pro and 10'- to full spool of the pink # 15-#30(about 30 yrds) depending on the type of fishing and speices. Larger # topshot on my conventional/trolling stuff. I am very pleased with the results from this combo.I have not put any braid on my surf gear yet and before I do I think I'll invest in a "Thumbdinger"! One thing you have to remember about the braid is it is hard to break and just as hard to cut. Get and carry some good scissors for good clean cuts.:cool:

I have mono on a couple-few 7' rods, only because I have a bunch of it and I am "using it up". I run from 20# up to 100# braid on everything else. As soon as I use up the mono, everything will be braid with the exception of night time beach sharkin reels (4 of them). I have found that the night toothy critters swim through the braid and cut it.

My reasons for braid are already listed above, plus can get so much more on the reel.

Something not mentioned (I don't think) is the ability of braid to cut through weeds and mangrove roots. Grouper love to get your line back into the groves and break you off. Braid can (and has for me) cut through some of it and I have been able to land the critter.

Plus, as opposed to mentioned above, you can get the fish landed quicker and release with a better chance of the fish not being totally exhausted and increase the chance of it living.

Good point about the weed cutting on the braid Steve. I'll keep that in mind when I go to it on my surf rigs for those "weed tides" down on AI! Like you i am using up what I have on the bench.

I didn't jump on the braid wagon until two years ago. I was always apprehensive about using it. Especially when I started reading and hearing about how much it tore up hardware...cut guides and rollers. Also the fact that specialized reels were called for that cross-wrapped the line to prevent it from digging into itself. Also the fact that if you get hung up, pulling too hard was going to cause something to break...and it wasn't the line.

I finally broke down and switched over to braid two years ago. I researched a lot and read as much as I could find out there about the stuff. One of the things that I found interesting was that there are "braided" lines and then there are "fused" lines. It seems a lot of folks who say they are using braid are actually using a fused line.

I also was surprised to learn of "windknots" and the claims that braid and mono lines do not mix with each other when fishing around others. Having never fished with the stuff made me pay attention to what I was doing, and I am happy to say that I have never had any problems at least with the Suffix Elite braid. I even spooled fishingirlpa's reel with the stuff and taught her what I knew and had learned about these lines. Neither of us has experienced any of the "problems" that some claim to have with braided lines.

I really don't think it causes any problems with mono either. A stressed line is a stressed line and it doesn't take much to cause it to break whether it be mono or braid.

Something I did find out for myself, and had asked several others about whom I feel are very smart when it comes to braided lines, was the fact that glue did not seem to help knots hold any better. I had experienced a knot/line breakage that perplexed me. The mono leader broke where it exited the knot. The knot was still intact. I took the length of line with the intact knot to work to look at under the microscope. What I found was very interesting...the mono leader broke inside of the knot and the glue that I had applied to the knot had not even penetrated the braided line. There were just a few small flecks of glue on the outside of the knot. The knot itself was as good as the day it was tied, but there was no evidence that any of the glue had penetrated the knot. AFter inquirying about this, I found that the braid has a coating on it to make it slick. Well this very same coating is what prevented the glue from penetrating the knot. So I am not so sure that glue helps with knots holding in braid.

While I was talking about my experience and observations with my friends, I was told to watch for imploding knots. Apparently due to this coating on the line, knots tied with braid can and do sometimes continue to tighten upon themselves to the point that the knot will literally implode.

I had also been informed that there had been QC problems with PP and that this was leading to a lot of mysterious break-offs. Supposedly this was brought under control, but who knows how many spools of this has made it out there on the shelves and E-bay.

I like the increased sensitivity of the lines, the amount that you are able to get on a spool, and that it last longer then mono. Sure it cost a little more then mono, but I think the advantages outweigh any disadvantages. The advances made in hardware since the inception of braid have come a long way towards making it another tool and when applied right, it works very well.

Okay, its Muugghhnday and I have rambled enough for one day

for all my fishing i use braid the one thing for my conventional's i use fireline, the line is a little bit heavier and stiffer then power pro which makes picking one out a lot easier.I think the biggest thing is to make sure that the braid is put on the reel tight very tight that tends to help it from pulling to far down into the line on a blow up.

for all my fishing i use braid the one thing for my conventional's i use fireline, the line is a little bit heavier and stiffer then power pro which makes picking one out a lot easier.I think the biggest thing is to make sure that the braid is put on the reel tight very tight that tends to help it from pulling to far down into the line on a blow up.

Its a great idea to get the line on tight, but the first time you reel it in without significant resistance you are back in the same boat.

i forgot to mention i have found using sputnik or hurricane sinkers tend to give good resistance on the retrieve also thumbing the spool or line can help with tension. there are finger protection out there i have used to help combat cutting your thumb up. There is a sponsor on here with the thumb dinger although i havent used this product its on the same lines of something i use.

I mainly fish with baitcasting reel and conventional reels that all have mono. I like to mono because it is more of a challenge then putting higher breaking strength braid on the reel. A 1/4 lb spool of mono for me can fill 3 or 4 reels compared to one spool of braid that fills one reel. I have a bunch of reels and it would be expensive to respool them with braid. The only reels that I have braid on are my plugging reels for no stretch hookups.