4 posts in this topic

Copied from an Annapolis newspaper-

From an Annapolis newspaper:

WASHINGTON (AP) — A fish wholesaler and his son have pleaded guilty in the largest investigation of illegal commercial fishing in the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River.

The Justice Department says Robert Moore Sr. and his son Robert Moore Jr. entered their pleas Thursday in U.S. District Court in Washington. The elder Moore owns Cannon Seafood Inc. in Georgetown, where his son also works.

Under the plea agreement, Cannon Seafood agreed to pay an $80,000 fine and $28,000 in restitution to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. Moore Sr. and his son will pay fines totaling $70,000 and a combined $25,000 in restitution to the foundation.

Prosecutors say the Moores and at least three fishermen illegally harvested and sold hundreds of thousands of pounds of striped bass, which are highly protected. The men were charged last month with violating the Lacey Act, a federal law that bars the creation of false records for fish and wildlife or transporting illegally harvested wildlife.

Several other fishermen face similar charges.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<HR align=left width=250 SIZE=1>

so thats it? no other discipline other than money? I would of thought they might have a fish dealers permit revoked/suspended. instead they just have to pay money. I wonder how they will come up with the money. only thing worse than a thief is a thief in debt.

the stole hundreds of thousands of lbs of striper and only get fined $150K ???? Thats way less than a dollar a lb. I don't know what the wholesale market for striper is, but I would bet its a lot more than a $1 per lb. That fine seems like the cost of doing business instead of a deterrent.

When are they going to put some teeth into those laws to stop all this nonsense from happening?

That's a slap on the wrist! I saw a boat that was caught fishing outside off of Va. Beach and they received a $100 fine for each fish. Doesn't seem quite fair to let the commercial man off easier than the recreational fisherman. They can do a lot more damage than a man with a fishing rod. Although i am sure the crabbers are happy those fish are gone. The last time i saw the market price in Hampton Roads the price per pound was about $10.99, and where do you think that the money is going to come from to pay for the fines.