15 posts in this topic

Background: It has been beat to death but I have not found a answer that I like.

I am looking for the best way to haul my surf poles without breaking them down, various lengths 6 foot to 12 foot (Family of 6 I carry a few poles). Thought about using a ladder rack but have not seen one that will fit with my fold-a-cover and or doesn't look cheap and rattle. It is a little tall to put on the cab plus Thule and Yakima racks can be high priced. Also soon to haul surf boards and / kayak.

How do you all haul your equipment?

Any body know of any good reasonable custom aluminium fabrication shops?

I think it is going to have to be custom hmm....

I use the Yakima ski setup, yes they are expensive. I have a small fortune in my fishing equipment and feel confident that my rods are secure and nothing will happen to them. Be careful what you get, becuse you get what you pay for.

When I first started surf fishing, eons ago, I did use a cheap set up and lost some equipment, lesson learned the hard way:cussing:

Hey

I use a snowboard /ski rack that I got on eBay for a reasonable price It's lockable it gives some security and stands up to highway speeds.

They come in various widths

033d_1.jpg.c12c82a095080d751b8b2fedb9384

I gotta agree with everyone else, there is no better way other than then ski racks. I especially like them because the can lock and keep your rods somewhat secure while you stop a gas station or fast food joint!

You can usually find them cheaper on an auction site. The base rack components can be found there as well.

I use a Yakima Roof Rack System, others use Thule. They are both great systems with very little differences between them.

I'm no pro at best a weekend warrior My rack is home made from 1" aluminum conduit

Awesome ideas!!!

I still have not ruled out going and having a custom rack made for the bed of the truck any ideas where??? or who????

The best is the Thule Castaway Rod rack by far but they discontinued them. I have two on the roof and can carry 8 rods and the reels, locks and keeps them covered. If you can ebay one or find a used one do it.

Awesome ideas!!!

I still have not ruled out going and having a custom rack made for the bed of the truck any ideas where??? or who????

I saw a nice custom rack made in the back of a pickup bed out of PVC pipe. with a little imagination that would be a really easy build.

I got a little bit of everything on my rack...thule and yakima components on a tracrac system...used for rods (ski type), yaks and surfboards. Not sure if I would buy another...got some rust building underneath rack but still is a very nice rack.

What are you going to put the rack on, something old and beat up or a newer truck?

If newer, stay away from the rinky-dink do-it-yourself job. It would look bad and you won't know the history of quality, since there won't be a track record.

I have the Thule system with the same holder as in Erbby's pic, but wider. Make a visit to REI, they often have discontinued stuff for up to 80% off, thats how I got the J Rack for my 2nd yak. So now I have 4 J's (2 yaks) and 1 ski holder (2 piece).

I only keep reels on the poles when I will NOT be leaving the truck unattended, but the poles lock in with a key, looks like a lot of keys would fit it though.

Hope this works, it is a 8 years old but I still am trying to keep it nice.

As you can see I need as much of the bed space as possible, so I have found Thule parts on E-bay for the cab part.

If possible I am open to any other ideas.

truck.jpg.d9fc441632d63911f15729db7d301f

Looks nice, I'd stick with a quality name brand for the rack.

I was faced with the same problem. I went ahead and got a cap.

Look in the phone book under welding.

Go visit the welder with drawings you make and get a quote.

It might be worth it to go ahead and get 2 cross members made up instead of just 1 with an attachment on the cab. You want to avoid attaching poles to anything on the bad and cap. The two move separately and may cause damage on the rods. I highly doubt it but it will make for a cleaner install anyway.

Amazon usually has good prices of stuff. Check eBay too.

Whatever rack you choose, you will find plenty of uses for it! :D

(like maybe a yak too!) LOL!

So many ways to go in the do it yourself category. I chose red oak and stainless steel.