15 posts in this topic

Background: It has been beat to death but I have not found a answer that I like.

I am looking for the best way to haul my surf poles without breaking them down, various lengths 6 foot to 12 foot (Family of 6 I carry a few poles). Thought about using a ladder rack but have not seen one that will fit with my fold-a-cover and or doesn't look cheap and rattle. It is a little tall to put on the cab plus Thule and Yakima racks can be high priced. Also soon to haul surf boards and / kayak.

How do you all haul your equipment?

Any body know of any good reasonable custom aluminium fabrication shops?

I think it is going to have to be custom hmm....

I use the Yakima ski setup, yes they are expensive. I have a small fortune in my fishing equipment and feel confident that my rods are secure and nothing will happen to them. Be careful what you get, becuse you get what you pay for.

When I first started surf fishing, eons ago, I did use a cheap set up and lost some equipment, lesson learned the hard way:cussing:

Hey

I use a snowboard /ski rack that I got on eBay for a reasonable price It's lockable it gives some security and stands up to highway speeds.

They come in various widths

033d_1.jpg.c12c82a095080d751b8b2fedb9384

I gotta agree with everyone else, there is no better way other than then ski racks. I especially like them because the can lock and keep your rods somewhat secure while you stop a gas station or fast food joint!

You can usually find them cheaper on an auction site. The base rack components can be found there as well.

I use a Yakima Roof Rack System, others use Thule. They are both great systems with very little differences between them.

I'm no pro at best a weekend warrior My rack is home made from 1" aluminum conduit

Awesome ideas!!!

I still have not ruled out going and having a custom rack made for the bed of the truck any ideas where??? or who????

The best is the Thule Castaway Rod rack by far but they discontinued them. I have two on the roof and can carry 8 rods and the reels, locks and keeps them covered. If you can ebay one or find a used one do it.

Awesome ideas!!!

I still have not ruled out going and having a custom rack made for the bed of the truck any ideas where??? or who????

I saw a nice custom rack made in the back of a pickup bed out of PVC pipe. with a little imagination that would be a really easy build.