10 posts in this topic

Hey Guys it has been awhile. Believe it or not I have been in Berlin most of January and probably most of Feb too! Been too busy to fish though.

Anyway I had a skin issue that is now cleared up and maybe this could help someone else too. I noticed a spot on my neck that was a raised bump and then it broke the skin and would scab over but never heal. The scab would come off and it would leave a divot with a little bit of blood. This went on for about a month so I went to the Doc. Turns out is was basal cell carcinoma. Very rare that it is serious and in my case was not. Problem is that if you get this it seems that you are more likely to get the serious stuff.

So I am in need of a better hat than a ballcap. Something with a wide brim, maybe something waterproof???? Anyone got any ideas?????

Now onto sunscreen. New findings out pretty much bash the coppertone and most others. I brought this up to my dermatologist and he agreed. We should all be looking for sunscreens with a zinc base!!!!! One of the better ones is Blue Lizard. Kinda hard to find and twice as expensive as the regular stuff! But that is what I am gonna use from now on......

Randy just had a basal cell carcinoma removed from near his nose. It went all the way to the muscle and required a skin graft from his chin. Maybe now he will listen to me when I tell him he needs to put on sunscreen.

Wow, I'm glad you guys are alright. If you find anything else on the sunscreen, let us know.

sorry to hear that phil, I've abandoned my careless ways on sand these days when it comes to sun. Almost always covered up head to toe. This hat is one of the best things I've ever bought for fishing. $20 or so at Harbor this summer but should be available most places.

DSCF0227.jpg.da43a6794414e65d244c2b3ad04

you won't be sorry, only thing I would change is upgrading to a more breathable model in the heat. Gets kind of muggy under there at times. Some come with vents but with my bald head mesh isn't any good either.

Ben - does the hat come with a guarantee of a big drum like that? I'll buy 50!

Phil and Randy - glad to hear you got those spots cleared up and you guys are alright.

Skin protection is something we do not discuss here much, but ,for many continued years of fishing, it is important.

Steve's point on cloudy days deserves talking about. The very worst burn I ever received was on a very cloudy day in 1985. It was actually a little on the foggy side that day as well and man did I fry. Someone in the know at the time said the clouds actually intensify the effect by making the rays change the angles they are hitting you at.

The moral of everyone's story here is the same - pay attention to your sun protection measures. Take the time to research the sunscreens, and put it on. Wide brim hats are great too. And if you think you have a "spot" that is not getting better - get it checked!

Peace

Ben - does the hat come with a guarantee of a big drum like that? I'll buy 50!

That's funny. That would be great advertising for the hat company.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0">

<embed src="http://imagebarn.info/pages/2915/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></object>