24 posts in this topic

since there are not yet any post in this forum lets get it started. lets hear your favorite kayak fishing memories, experiences, or stories. post pictures of your kayaks, the fish you caught or someone else caught. lets hear any tips and tricks or general techniques.

the very fist time I saw someone fishing out of a kayak was about 4 years ago. we were out rockfishing on new years day. we were about 3 miles off the beach and we were struggling to find an area to ourselves since it was a holiday. we just decided to get away from all the other boats and just started cruising. we came across this guy about 3 miles off the beach in a kayak. I had never seen anyone fish out of a kayak yet so I thought this guy was crazy, especially being out there in january. well, we are sitting there watching him paddle and out of no where all the water around him just erupts and starts churning. birds start diving and picking all around him. a school of big blues had chased bait from the bottom to the top and he was smack in the middle of a frenzy! we could hear him screaming with excitement as he just dips his lure into the water hooking big blues. we were on the outside of the school, casting in catching these 10-12 pound blues but he was right in the middle of it! could you imagine sitting there in the water having so many fish feeding that they are bumping into your kayak? must have been one heck of an adrenaline rush! at the time I thought he was absolutely insane, now I just realize it was just another day in the life of a kayak angler.

I just started really fishing from my yak (instead of just yakking out baits) this past summer. I fitted it with an old fish finder I had laying around and some scotty rod holders. I didn't get to fish from it as much as I would've liked, but I still got to do it. A day at the Cement Ships in Kiptopeke and a few days on the lower potomac. Oh and here and there on the local rivers and lakes. I haven't managed anything larger than about a 5lb catfish from it yet, but hopefully I will get to change that this spring/summer......

trolling for trophy stripers can be some of the most tiring and rewarding fishing you can do from a yak, especially because it is light tackle. I've been the only one to catch at times, the lack of engine noise is KEY!

I just bought my starter Yak this Christmas.

Took it out for the first time last week..........Oh God I just know I'm gonna have a problem. Can you say Tackle HO to the 10th power!

Well I hope to be posting all kinds of pics this spring.

Today was almost a "first time with the new yak", but ended up going to the zoo with the family. I can't wait until it warms up a bit. :)

Took it out for the first time last week..........Oh God I just know I'm gonna have a problem. Can you say Tackle HO to the 10th power!

congrats, you just opened a door to another dimension of fishing. it is not just another "category" of fishing. kayak fishing is on a level of its own. what kind of kayak did you get?

Today was almost a "first time with the new yak", but ended up going to the zoo with the family. I can't wait until it warms up a bit. :)

when you do go make sure your family knows where you are... you might not be home for a while.

Hey Matt tell me about these yaks. I am interested in this new area of fishing. For freshwater as well as salt. How long can/do people sit in these yaks while fishing?

I do a lot of freshwater fishing and these would be GREAT for the hot summer days. Yakking in the ocean is something I want to do more of also. And that stuff at the concrete ships got my attention!

Hey Matt tell me about these yaks. I am interested in this new area of fishing. For freshwater as well as salt. How long can/do people sit in these yaks while fishing?

I do a lot of freshwater fishing and these would be GREAT for the hot summer days. Yakking in the ocean is something I want to do more of also. And that stuff at the concrete ships got my attention!

I have paddled out in the sound before the charter boats left (5:30am) and not come back until just before dark in the summer. I wasnt sitting in it the whole time. I wade fished along some shallow water holes and even slept on it for an hour or so when I got tired. they are also incredibly stable and you can shift position and even sit sideways (side saddle) on them with your legs in the water. I have so much to say about these kayaks. if you get a comfortable seat, or even an additional pad it can be very comfortable. although he wasnt sitting in it the whole time there is a guy, kayak kevin, who has done some long tours with kayaks one of which was 1800 miles from Pensacola FL, to Norfolk, VA! now that is an adventure! with a kayak you can get in shallower water than a boat and deeper water or too far for a wader. there is no engine noise and it is almost like you are a part of nature yourself. the possibilities are endless from a kayak. you can catch really small fish up to giant fish hundreds of pounds. you can catch bass, bluegill, and crappie in freshwater. you can catch blues, stripers, tarpon, kings, flounder, etc. in saltwater. you can fish in streams, lakes, ponds, rivers, or sounds, bays, and ocean. one thing is for sure, with my kayak on top of my truck the fish are almost never out of my reach. you can outfit them to your specifications with additional rodholders, livewells, fishfinders, lights, etc. some people have whole electrical systems in their kayak with switches to control 3 or more electrical appliances. several people I know in VA have given up on boats and gone to kayaks. less cost, less maintenance. you can fish right on structure that a boat owner would be scared to. you should see some of the scratches I got on mine from the concrete ships in Kiptopeke. kayak fishing is very rewarding. it can be physically demanding but it doesnt have to be. how many times have you looked out upon busting fish on a calm day on the beach but cant reach them? does that help, lol.

Chapa, sure glad you got one!

Now you can Yak out our baits at Dam Neck at night!!!!

Now go see Uncle Ronnie and get you some Yak rods built! Ray just dropped off some blanks, I'm gonna go see what he gots!!!:drunken_smilie:

Phil, there is another great aspect about a fishing yak.

You can go places that motor boats aren't allowed. I know of a honey-hold in the Everglades that is a no-motor zone. Plan to hit it this year. Also in the Mosquito lagoon! I am heading to the Keys, Mosquito Lagoon and the flats/creeks around Amelia Island, FL in April. Unlike a boat, I can toss it on top and will be launching from the beach at a Hilton Hotel in the Keys!!

I'll have this puppy decked out too!

What kind of yaks are we talking about here? So far the only one I have been in is a ocean Kayak? I think that is the name, kinda short, 9'er I think and pretty wide. Stable in the surf.

What kind of yaks are we talking about here? So far the only one I have been in is a ocean Kayak? I think that is the name, kinda short, 9'er I think and pretty wide. Stable in the surf.

the kind I have are Malibu Kayaks. I chose those because their storage space, weight capacity, stability, comfortability, and dry ride are second to none in my mind. I am around 240 lbs. and am often paddling standing up in mine looking for fish to cast to. that was probably an ocean kayak you were in. they are the most popular brand. 10 years ago it was probably all ocean kayaks, now there are a bunch of different brands that all offer something different. Malibus are the best kayaks for me and regardless of whatever other people think and their preffered kayak brand, I will feel a lot better selling a brand I believe in.

Thanks Matt I will snoop around and look at them.

If I find I am interested I will contact you!

congrats, you just opened a door to another dimension of fishing. it is not just another "category" of fishing. kayak fishing is on a level of its own. what kind of kayak did you get?

I have a limited budget so I got a simple OK scrambler XT. I'm sure I'll upgrade as soon as I can save some coin. I'm going to give it at least one season(trial period). I know my boat does have some short comings and limitations but, I'll put up with it for now so that I can get in the game.

Chapa, sure glad you got one!

Now you can Yak out our baits at Dam Neck at night!!!!

Now go see Uncle Ronnie and get you some Yak rods built! Ray just dropped off some blanks, I'm gonna go see what he gots!!!:drunken_smilie:

I wish I could but I'm so broke right now I can't even pay attention.

Well this little Yak of mine supose to be an Ace in the surf. So if I can master it, there will be lots of bait out in the horizion.

117_1706.jpg.f3ec5f2e34ecacc7c1890d3809e

I wonder why we don't see more guys fishing out past the bar in the ocean, not just taking bait out.

I have an idea that would be outstanding. Kinda like float trips in freshwater.

Wait till the striper migration, either spring or fall and when you get a north or south breeze and there is just a bit of current running. Get two guys with 4wd. Go downwind from your starting point and drop off the first 4wd. Take the 2nd truck with the yakks and head upwind for maybe a mile or so. Paddle out and dunk eels or cast jigs, whatever you want as you drift down current towards your first truck. Betcha you haul in some bigguns!!!!!

I wonder why we don't see more guys fishing out past the bar in the ocean, not just taking bait out.

I have an idea that would be outstanding. Kinda like float trips in freshwater.

Wait till the striper migration, either spring or fall and when you get a north or south breeze and there is just a bit of current running. Get two guys with 4wd. Go downwind from your starting point and drop off the first 4wd. Take the 2nd truck with the yakks and head upwind for maybe a mile or so. Paddle out and dunk eels or cast jigs, whatever you want as you drift down current towards your first truck. Betcha you haul in some bigguns!!!!!

I have thought of that, depending on whats going on and what I see I would probably just anchor and soak bait. I can fish 4+ rods soaking bait on my kayak. now if I marked a lot of fish on the fishfinder I might try drifting to get one on some kind of lure. I am not sure how effective eels would be, especially in the spring when they arent feeding as heavy. it would be worth some experimenting though, thats for sure.

That does it... I'm gonna do it.. :blob1:

man, we had a couple teaser 70 degree days last week and its killing me! between those warm days and taking a SCUBA open water certification course I cannot get spearfishing out of my head, it is so cool. I cant wait until the water warms and we get some sheepshead and triggerfish moving in on the wrecks right off the beach. a lot of people swim to these wrecks but I paddle out and tie off to the wreck itself or the marker buoy. so fun, and them triggers and sheepshead are TASTY!

Chapa...

You need to get that yak out off the end of LIP away from the lead and wear out the spanish this summer.

I can only imagine how many you would rack up on!

Chapa...

You need to get that yak out off the end of LIP away from the lead and wear out the spanish this summer.

I can only imagine how many you would rack up on!

then throw one of them spanish on a live bait rig.

Nice fish

thats a real nice fish. I wish we had tarpon here as easily targetable and catchable as florida. I would post pics of me if that were the case. I might try to catch one out of the kayak here this year. that would be cool. a lot of things have to align right for that to happen though.