9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm taking my parents and kids (5 adults and 3 kids) to the Keys in mid Mar. We'll be doing some cruising and fishing. We'll be staying in the Cocoplum or Marathon area. Does anyone has boat rental and fishing rod/reel/tackle rental experience there he/she can recommend?

Your input is very much appreciated.

Thank you

Chris

Edited by ffemtreed

Hi Steve,

My family will be staying around Cocoplum Beach area. Can you suggest what specie of fish would be available and where to go to fish?

Thank you

Chris

Great thanks Steve. Okay sharks, it's an idea I still can't get use to. It's not something we have to worry about up here =P

Wow 5/0 hooks should I be running 30lb test or may be use braided? Some of those fish looks vicious!! Sharp teeth!!

It sanctuary area marked out by buoy or has to rely on GPS coordinates?

Last time I fished it, it was. But I wouldn't depend on that.

Just stay far enough away.

You can also use lighter/smaller tackle for the Snappers & Yellowtails.

I use a 7' with 30# braid. Only because the bigger fish hit on the same stuff the smaller ones do (shrimp). And because I don't carry a reel for every size fish, too much to put on the plane.

Use smaller hooks for the snappers and larger (5/0) for the Cuda, Chark and Grouper. Use some 100# steel leader for the toothie critters (on the 5/0). A 5/0 is actually a pretty small hook, LOL!!! I also use hooks almost the size of a cup saucer...

Holly. Wow 5/0 is the biggest hook I have in my arsenal!!! Okay is there gear restriction like only circle hooks, no treble no regular hooks sort of thing?

Nope, no restrictions. I would recommend not using a treble hook for anything there. Make darn sure you have either a good hook remover or 10" channel locks to keep you away from the sharp teeth. When you get wherever you are going, just ask around about renting gear. Take all the little stuff with you though, even a reel (or a few) if you can.

You can catch anything on a 5/0, it's just that the size of bait will be smaller. Maybe grab a pack of 12/0 to be able to put a whole slab of barracuda on the hook for the larger critters.

Get a book NOW on the species in the area, and handle everything as if it has teeth. Keep the kids away from the business end of Charks and Cuda, they are FAST to lash out!

Wow 12/0 wonder where I can find those here!!! 7/0 been the largest I've seen in tackleshops here!!! Oh heck one more shopping stop to make when I get done to the keys. Okay sharp teeth I guess I might as well pinch out those barbs too, makes life easier. Okay guess no snorkeling for the kids then. Was thinking of doing some snorkeling.

Cool will do. Thank you for all the tips and helps. Less than a month now!!!